UrbanHenKW123

Songster
Jun 25, 2019
Kitchener - Canada
Hey guys! So I have a question about bumblefoot - I originally treated it about 6 weeks ago (dug out the infection, foot soak, polysporin, wrapped the foot for a week etc). Two of my girls had it on both feet. Their feet no longer seem red or swollen, but the scabs are there on 3 of the 4 feet I treated. I’m considering redoing the treatment. They don’t seem to be in any pain or anything. So I’m not sure if I should do it again or not. I don’t want to go digging around in there for no reason. I can find a lot of info on the initial treatment of bumblefoot but not a lot on the healing process. I’ve also been told it can take months for healing to happen. What is your experience with the healing itself ? Thanks !!

Hey guys! So I have a question about bumblefoot - I originally treated it about 6 weeks ago (dug out the infection, foot soak, polysporin, wrapped the foot for a week etc). Two of my girls had it on both feet. Their feet no longer seem red or swollen, but the scabs are there on 3 of the 4 feet I treated. I’m considering redoing the treatment. They don’t seem to be in any pain or anything. So I’m not sure if I should do it again or not. I don’t want to go digging around in there for no reason. I can find a lot of info on the initial treatment of bumblefoot but not a lot on the healing process. I’ve also been told it can take months for healing to happen. What is your experience with the healing itself ? Thanks !!
I don’t have a lot of experience thank goodness nor do I want any but I do know this. If you still have the scar tissue like scabs which are very hard to go away these scabs often are just scars which can be very very deep scar tissue continuously trying to redevelop into disease if they are not truly healed up from infection that is why they have to be treated with the neosporin and the epsom salt soaks repeatedly to get the infection out. Once it is finally out you are golden but it’s really a process. Let me tell ya. It’s like cooking it almost. Gross. Boiling it! The staph infection is determined for sure!

Chickens seldom complain; they're often on death's door before they'll express discomfort.

If you think that something is still brewing in those feet, give them a good long soak in epsom salt water, then gently but firmly rub the scabs with a clean, old, terry-cloth rag. The hope is that the scab will pop off, enabling you to give the opened wound a good squeeze and visual inspection. Either way, rub a bit of neosporin without pain relief into the feet and if the wound did open, then dress it as you did before. This is an excellent time to rub vaseline or cooking oil onto their legs and feet to discourage scaly mites, and rounds out the 'spa treatment'.

Back
Top Bottom