Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
One of our poor little Dominiques has bumblefoot in both feet. Are we to take care of one foot at a time? Or is it okay to do both feet at once? We have honey bees and my husband wants to try to treat their infections with our raw honey before we use antibiotic ointment. Anyone ever try that to treat bumblefoot?

It appears that we have several other hens that have it to some degree. I inspected their feet after I looked at the Dominiques feet and checked here to see what it was that she had going on. Some only have it in one foot, some also seem to have it in both. But none are walking tenderly like her. They are constantly digging in our flower beds, the ones out front have barberry bushes in them and my DH has left the small trimmings in the gardens. I wonder if they have thorns in their feet. We also have wild roses growing in our hedgerow where they like to dig and dustbathe. Oh brother! Going to have to buy a case of Vetwrap!

One of our poor little Dominiques has bumblefoot in both feet. Are we to take care of one foot at a time? Or is it okay to do both feet at once? We have honey bees and my husband wants to try to treat their infections with our raw honey before we use antibiotic ointment. Anyone ever try that to treat bumblefoot?

It appears that we have several other hens that have it to some degree. I inspected their feet after I looked at the Dominiques feet and checked here to see what it was that she had going on. Some only have it in one foot, some also seem to have it in both. But none are walking tenderly like her. They are constantly digging in our flower beds, the ones out front have barberry bushes in them and my DH has left the small trimmings in the gardens. I wonder if they have thorns in their feet. We also have wild roses growing in our hedgerow where they like to dig and dustbathe. Oh brother! Going to have to buy a case of Vetwrap!

It is injuries to the foot that lead to bumblefoot. Thorns, nails, scrapes, cuts etc., then walking in poop or other nasty or muddy areas. Bumblefoot is a staph infection. I don't know if honey is going to touch that.
You can treat both feet at the same time. I've posted many times in this thread on what I do to treat it and I really recommend doing the poultice first before the surgery. It's a long process that can take anywhere from two weeks to two months depending on severity.

We've been treating Tilly for this on both her feet for the past month now. The left foot does appear to be be getting better But not much difference yet in her right foot. We've added johnson's antibacterial powder to the sugar/iodine poultice so fingers crossed but it is a long process.

I performed this surgery about a month ago on 2 of my hens. This post was awesome! Now... i guess i did something wrong. They got infected again. One hen, i had to do to both feet. One foot, i cut the scab off, got one of the kernels out. I didn't feel anything else. The pad was still swollen but with what i describe as meat! No more pus or kernels. That's the foot that got infected again. This time it was still a huge meaty pad, but i was able to get 2 HUGE kernels out and 1 smaller one. The meat looked red to grayish after it kind of dried out some. I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic.doors that sounds normal? It reminds me of like a pad on a dog's foot just softer. Idk. I'm going to clean it and dress it everyday and see what happens

Today I noticed almost all of my ducks have this on their feet, and I think they have for quite a while. None of the 12 limp or anything, and they seem perfectly happy, but I don't understand why they are like this! Is it just calluses from walking, or is it bumblefoot? They are nineteen weeks old. Another strange thing is that the two geese that live with them and do everything they do don't have any trace of it. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

What you think about this ?

Is bumblefoot?
Looks like the start of one. All it takes is a cut, scrape or puncture for infection to set in anywhere on the foot. They walk in poop alot, so that doesn't help.

I would start some soaking on that and then wrap with an iodine/sugar poultice. Try to do that every two to three days, changing the poultice out after the epsom salt soakings. After a couple of weeks of doing that, you can try to get the bumble out with surgery. I suggest doing a search on that here before attempting if you have no experience. It's very important everything is clean and sterile and that you have somewhere to cage the bird for a few days after surgery to keep the foot and bandages clean while the wound is closing up.

Back
Top Bottom