Bumblefoot??

glassdragonfly

Crowing
Sep 3, 2019
Ozark,mo
Hi everyone. One of my brother-in-laws chickens was limping today,so his wife asked me if I would take her home to see what I can do. Of coarse I said yes. I cleaned it but now I don't know if it's bumblefoot. Heres what I know. Sexlink hen is around 2 yrs,layer feed,no free range,no rooster,no runny eyes or nose, no sneezing,no lice or mites,eating and drinking fine,weight seems good. I don't know if she's laying.Lives with about 9 others.Clean coop and run,clean water and feed is free choice. All other hens look fine. She is acting fine just sitting alot.
DSC00673.JPG
The black spots by the inner toe on each foot is attached to flesh and there is a swollen spot right next to the black spot on the foot closest to the camera. I have not seen bumblefoot like this before. Both legs are warm with the most swollen one being the warmest. I have her in a cage in the garage,on clean dry bedding. Any ideas? Not sure on how to help this hen.

Thanks,I have been through bumblefoot before but never without a scab to start on. I don't know where to start. Maybe I can find a video.

I would do this way first:
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment.html/?spref=pi
If soaking does not soften it enough then you can apply decolorized iodine (different than betadine-in any first aid section of pharmacy) and wrap over night and that will help soften it.
Pictures are not real clear, so I would try doing things without cutting first to see how it goes. Mud balls (mix of dirt, droppings, moisture) can also start in crevices and build up over time, they are very, VERY hard, like concrete. Can take multiple soakings to soften and remove them. Mud balls can cause swelling and loss of circulation also. If you can get clearer, closer pictures it might be helpful.

Much better pictures! I do think it's bumblefoot. I would do as the link I gave you before describes. You have to remove all of the infection, once you remove the scab it may take some serious squeezing to get it all out. In the last picture the large, shiny, swollen area may be filled, hard to say without feeling it. I've found when there are large chunks of pus in there you can feel them, they will feel harder than normal tissue will. Just for example, and every foot is different, picture below is of what can sometimes be inside that foot. And below that is the kind of tool I use to clean them out when needed. I've seen them like this, large but mostly contained, I've seen them long and narrow tunneling into the foot, I've seen them ribbon like through the foot. Again, no two feet are exactly the same.
bumblefootremoval.jpg

31xKW2W+n0L.jpg

Right,but the scab looking things are like her scales of her foot,if I try to pull gently on them they have flesh attached. I did squeeze the one foot but nothing came out. The swollen parts in full of stuff. Just not sure were to cut/open this up at. I will continue to soak and clean. Maybe I can find a spot to start. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom