Bump / knot / lump on chick's head

Almost forgot your baby as soon as you can if there is infection you want to get after it as soon as possible . the needle will not hurt the chick .If your going to TSC and you don't have It you should get DURVET Duramycin-10 powder 1/4 teaspoon per Qt clean water or until it looks like lime Gatorade change daily for 5-7 days I put all my new chicks on this at the end of the first week when they leave the kitchen and go into the brooder shed. you can do the needle Its easy good

You're the best! thank you! Didn't get by TSC today, will go tomorrow....

What has it been 3 days as long as its not growing larger but I'm sure your as good as Cole when it comes to the babies I'll tell you about blowfish later . its feeding time now for my horses and my son And if I don't cook I have to go to McDonalds so I'll cook. post more later.

I looked at it this evening and it actually looks better. Some of the others seem to be getting that odd shape to their heads, so I'm wondering if its a male/female thing with that breed. With the others it looks more like their feather growth. I didn't hold any to be sure, but the one definitely looks better. I'll still get the stuff ready in case, but I've got a feeling it may be ok. I'm not sure though.

I don't know the breed but I think with the amount of time that has passed you would notice something pain to the touch a change in the eye. a dull look in the eye is the first thing you look for when you think the bird is sick .with a large flock its hard to do so you watch for listless birds If one of mine keeps laying down or doesn't come out of the chicken house when I feed I check it out. these are things only you would notice .the best thing to do is research the breed characteristic .you're the best vet when it comes to your chickens . It's a good ideal to keep medicine on hand . the drug I told you about .and Tylan 50 injectable just about any wound medicine you use on you can be used on them. syringes are great for giving chickens oral meds. I keep 3cc and 20cc syringes on hand all the time.

Just a thought. Is there a chance they could have crested lineage?

Never thought of that, didn't even know they came in a crested variety. I got them for their beauty, wasn't really concerned about lineage (pets/eggs, not show) I Googled the line she advertises and I dont see any crested, but the chick pics I found look alot like mine. Will look into it more. Thank you!

I don't know the breed but I think with the amount  of time that has passed you would notice something pain to the touch a change in the eye. a dull look in the eye is the first thing you look for when you think the bird is sick .with a large flock its hard to do so you watch for listless birds If one of mine keeps laying down or doesn't come out of the chicken house when I feed I check it out. these are things only you would notice .the best thing to do is research the breed characteristic .you're the best vet when it comes to your chickens . It's a good ideal to keep medicine on hand . the drug I told you about .and Tylan  50 injectable  just about any wound medicine you use on you can be used on them. syringes are great for giving chickens oral meds. I keep 3cc and 20cc syringes on hand all the time.

Great info for a newb like me. I will get some. Thanks!

Well I was asking if maybe a crested too slipped in. Some crested chicks with only one crested parents hatch with an odd head like that. Just a thought.

Never thought of that, didn't even know they came in a crested variety. I got them for their beauty, wasn't really concerned about lineage (pets/eggs, not show) I Googled the line she advertises and I dont see any crested, but the chick pics I found look alot like mine. Will look into it more. Thank you!
Great info for a newb like me. I will get some. Thanks!

We have my wife to thank . I had been around animals all my life and did not know how much I did not know until we married . We cut our own hogs and calves and used pine tar to dress the cut or used motor oil for wound dressing cause that's what dad said .We have always had chickens here on the farm but just enough for eggs for us .when thy died we would buy more. last year we needed more . I could not believe how much they cost so I said I'm going in the chicken business . we started buying young pullets . with lots of birds came lots of problems. Now my wife has a degree in animals science with two years of poultry management from UCONN so we didn't jump into this blind. she managed our vets office for four years before we got our own farm .and still bills for him once a month. she is in Healthcare Management now and still finds the time to champion for our 22 year old son that has Autisum and needs 24/7 care or he will flood the bath room or kitchen or like last night rip the cord out of my laptop charger which took 2 hrs. to fix. in my eyes she has no equal . I'm going to try to start candler thread If I can learn how and where let how the chick is doing

Well I was asking if maybe a crested too slipped in. Some crested chicks with only one crested parents hatch with an odd head like that. Just a thought.
Oh, I see... I guess anything is possible!

I think that is a very good point to consider. After looking at the picture again, I would bet that it is a crest, especially if there isn't any swelling or poofiness to the head.

I'll get some more pictures this evening, and actually, after looking at them all more closely last night, there are others that look a little puffier too. And all in the same place. But... all their coloring is very consistent..... not like something else got mixed in by mistake. So its still a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom