Burford Brown

I have just reached the sad realisation that the reason my beautiful 24 week old burford browns are not laying is that they are in fact boys! Over the last week they have suddenly blossomed! Even more sadly for them the local poultry auction is next week.......

Have you got a few pics. Which is your local auction.

We have given up this breed because it is trademarked, and we didn't find it that productive.

Looking at them today I don't know how I missed it, they tend to hang around together away from the rest of the flock, amd their colours have really developed over the last week or so. Their mother was burford brown, father BCM I believe.
Lovely birds, but I have no use for them if they won't lay eggs, so off to Cirencester market next week

Yes, Mr Woolfe adamantly refuses to sell me any hatching eggs, which is a great pity, as even if they're not a true breed, they're certainly the best egg-layers I've ever had, and the cocks good for meat too!

I can't afford to buy his hens, but almost wish I could ! However, I always hatch my own birds to prevent introducing any pests and diseases to my flock from birds raised elsewhere, so it's Burford Brown hatching eggs that I lust after !

I am fairly new to chicken owning, but my mum has always had them and I grew up on home grown eggs. She has mainly Marans & Welsummers now and always has beautiful brown eggs. When I couldn't get my mum's eggs I would buy Burford Browns from the supermarket, so when we moved to a small holding last year I ordered 10 Burford Brown Hens from Philip Lee-Woolfe & waited 6 months for my 12 week old Pullets, which I paid £28 each for. My mum had 4, I have 6 and we both agree they are the most aggressive, skittish hens. (We were told they are really nice natured) when I met Philip to collect them he also offered me the choice of light brown coloured ones as well, but I plumped for the darker ones as they looked too ordinary. I didn't realise how diverse they could be for pedigrees! Like Double-Laced said, some have feathers on their feet, some don't, some are greenish black, some have copper heads & flecks and the eggs are very varied too. Not all dark brown, some are, some are speckled and some are very pale. I have a problem bullying and with one of them feather pecking & eating the feathers at the moment so they do look a sorry bunch too! At least I am getting eggs though, they started laying at 19/20 weeks and I get between 3 & 5 eggs a day from my 6, some most small but some huge double-Yorkers too. My mum is very disappointed in them though and much prefers her Marans & Welsummers..

I was on the brink of buying some Burford Brown hens from Legbars of Broadway, don't know if there is anywhere else that sells them, but after reading your post I don't think I'll bother, thanks so much for putting it on this forum.

I was a black rock agent and also a legbar breeder not onley have I olterd the buriford I have put the check Republic lagorn gene in as well as the darkest egg gene in. over 250 eggs a season and matures very quick. Cocks can eat out at 20 weeks, people no me as victorian farmer north of Scotland eggs will be sold soon.

Hi Gary
When you say you will be selling eggs do you mean hatching eggs? what sort of temperament do these hens have, is this a breed that you have created (impressive!) and do you have any photo's you can post? sorry for all questions.

Back
Top Bottom