Buyer's Remorse - are my new Anconas actually a cross? Experts weigh in please!

harriedhomemaker

Songster
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
I've been corresponding back and forth with a lady about buying four young female Anconas. I met her today and brought home the birds. They looked fine to me but it was dark and rainy and, to be honest, I was a bit distracted.
hmm.png
Now that I've gotten a good look at them, I'm worried they are actually a mix of Ancona and something else. They have some bright green feathers on their wings.

To me, it's not the green sheen you get on black feathers (like on my Australorp chicken). But I am new to raising ducks so I am hopefully wrong!

What do you think?

Last edited:
I've been corresponding back and forth with a lady about buying four young female Anconas. I met her at a swap meet today and brought home the birds. They looked fine to me at the swap meet but it was dark and rainy and, to be honest, I was a bit distracted.
hmm.png
Now that I've gotten a good look at them, I'm worried they are actually a mix of Ancona and something else. They have some bright green feathers on their wings.

To me, it's not the green sheen you get on black feathers (like on my Australorp chicken). But I am new to raising ducks so I am hopefully wrong!

What do you think?
I think they are beautiful, but i am no Anconas expert.

I found this picture from user Mellybelly... She posted last year about this same thing. I copied a picture from the ducks, and seems this is a natural thing..
106705_img_0353.jpg

As you can see, this one has much more green sheen along with some purple sheen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom