Buying a pony in bad shape

I have been years since I had the pleasure of my horse his trick if he did not have me on him and anyone tried to ride him he would buck them off my half sister Bertha better than you was going to jump on him like she knew him to impress a boyfriend he tossed her like a rag doll she landed in horse plop as her tight jeans split right down the seat :frow:yesss:

This is not a question of "should I buy" because I know I shouldn't but am going to anyway but more of a question of "is he going to improve in the next 2 weeks and what could possibly be wrong with him"
Saw a horse on CL, made an appointment to go look at him. In the CL ad he looks a little skinny, but when I go see in person he looks like this and it's bad. The owner is a kid and his mom pays relatives to care for the horse on their property but when we got there they had trouble finding him. As it turns out, the horse that I plan to purchase is locked in a shed at the back with no food or water. The kid started crying but still rode him. Horse looked pretty weak, his legs were shaky, and his tail and backside were dirty with poo. I gave them a deposit under the condition that if the horse hasn't improved by the time I go back on the 25th they refund it and the mom agreed. What do you think the chances are the horse will survive and doesn't have some hideous disease? He looked terrible, but the kids tears seemed real. But then again, I am gullible.
If he survives/improves before the 25th, I plan to make a lower offer and then take him straight to the nearest vet.
But what are his chances of surviving and improving?View attachment 1932843 Horse on CL vs. Horse when I got there. Pics were supposedly taken 2-3 weeks apart
View attachment 1932844
Poor guy. I think I see ribs in the craigslist photo, too, but not as bad. The saddle and shade looked like they were doing a good job of covering things up.

Congratulations on your new family member! Fantastic. He looks like a keeper :love. I'm positive you will all live (very) happily ever after! Agree with the Timothy, vacs, wormer and farrier and lots of hands on TLC. That little guy will be right as rain in no time.
Have you thought of the partner horse much? May be a good idea to get him/her outta there before it starts looking like this little guy did. Bless their hearts but this horse was lacking proper care, probably out of ignorance and resources. Super sad to do to such a sweet thing. Good job picking him up. Hana hou!!!

Last edited:
20191109_110859.jpg

Much better! He's been gelded, cleared for very light riding and got a baby sister! I would have felt like too much of a jerk riding him but the farrier's daughter rode him around with a halter and lead rope and he did well except for being a little worried about being mounted bareback.
20191108_105159.jpg

Baby sis Poppy, who comes with a fair amount of her own problems that are worse than Canelo's.

Back
Top Bottom