Buying a pony in bad shape

congratulations
Thank you! He perked up enough to trot yesterday when I let him out, but only for a couple of minutes because he realized there was food in his other pen

She is supposed to be just under a year old, she has a small hernia, crooked legs, some lovely nose/lip warts, a cough and runny nose, and a belly that is apparently not a worm belly, but the jury is still out on whether or not it's a baby belly or a hay belly and the vet is swamped and won't have time to look at her until Thursday. My dad swears it's a baby and a pregnancy is going to kill her, farrier and his wife say it could be a baby or hay but definitely get her preg checked and she doesn't look wormy, sister says it's a baby, and a guy that I met yesterday said he would swear she's too young to be pregnant but the lack of worms in her stool after a good dose of wormer is concerning.
All that aside, she's the sweetest baby I've ever met. She loves Canelo and yells at him over the fence constantly.
I would like opinions on her belly shape and how high of a risk it will be if she is pregnant and too far along to terminate it, but best case scenario it's just a hay belly.:fl

If she is less than a year old, it is highly unlikely that she is pregnant, particularly far enough along to be "showing." Frankly, the way that animal is put together, I'd have guessed her age closer to 6 months than a year; in this case, I'd think her obvious immaturity would play in your favor (she's probably not even mature enough to be cycling yet, since most fillies don't start until well past their first birthday.) Just because you didn't see worms in her stool doesn't mean she has spent her life parasite-free; looking (or not looking) "wormy" is not exactly diagnostic. It's quite common to not see worms in the stool after worming, in fact, I would consider seeing worms in the stool concerning, rather than the opposite.

I think it far more likely that you are looking at a "hay belly." This is a young animal that has a lot of growing to do, and a lot of digestive system to support that growth. Even healthy mature animals may be *ahem* "full-figured." My QH mare Latte has a barrel like, well, a barrel; even when she isn't packing extra pounds, she's round around the middle. And then there's my mini mule, Betsy, who I affectionately call my little brown pumpkin. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think her conformation issues are more concerning than her girth.:idunno

If she is less than a year old, it is highly unlikely that she is pregnant, particularly far enough along to be "showing." Frankly, the way that animal is put together, I'd have guessed her age closer to 6 months than a year; in this case, I'd think her obvious immaturity would play in your favor (she's probably not even mature enough to be cycling yet, since most fillies don't start until well past their first birthday.) Just because you didn't see worms in her stool doesn't mean she has spent her life parasite-free; looking (or not looking) "wormy" is not exactly diagnostic. It's quite common to not see worms in the stool after worming, in fact, I would consider seeing worms in the stool concerning, rather than the opposite.

I think it far more likely that you are looking at a "hay belly." This is a young animal that has a lot of growing to do, and a lot of digestive system to support that growth. Even healthy mature animals may be *ahem* "full-figured." My QH mare Latte has a barrel like, well, a barrel; even when she isn't packing extra pounds, she's round around the middle. And then there's my mini mule, Betsy, who I affectionately call my little brown pumpkin. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think her conformation issues are more concerning than her girth.:idunno

That is really reassuring!
The Zimectrin has now kicked in and she definitely did have some worms.
Full figured equines are the best! You could share pics if you were so inclined :D
Would you be able and willing to tell me more about her conformation issues? It's not a subject I know anything about.

I'm a little lost. Is Poppy his old pasture mate/little sister?! Wow, that was fast, bravo! I'm glad you picked her up. She's a cutie and lets hope she responds as well as Mr Canelo is responding. My vote is, not pregnant, give her time. She probably just needs to fart. How long have you had her for now?
Canelo looks pretty good and I love his face, handsome boy. He has filled out already under his winter fluff. He looks like a regular guy (with a bunch of scabs and scars lol). What did the farrier have to say about his feet? I'm so glad you were able to step up and take these two. Looks like you are set up for it and have a good heart and resources.
Happy Trails!

Nope, his previous owners ended up not wanting to sell any more of their horses :(
Poppy came from the kill pen in Stroud, Oklahoma, not his actual sister. Canelo needed another horse and Poppy didn't look like anyone else was gonna buy her :lol:
She was a bit bloaty the first day and a half or so. Just got her home Friday night, she was in QT for about a week before that.
Thank you! He has a very sweet smoochable face
Farrier had lots of profane things to say about his feet, but he did get the front ones straightened out. One had very little hoof wall left and one had been broken at a funky angle for a very long time causing some of the foot issues.
It's not really a good heart, more along the lines of irresponsible horse lover lol
And definitely don't have the set up-my dad's former boss is basically the best person ever and allows us to board the horses on his property

Back
Top Bottom