1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Buying an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by equine chick, Apr 12, 2007.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I am going to buy an incubator eventhough my chicks haven't even arrived yet. Chickens are truely an addiction for me. What kind should i look for, what kind do you reccomend. I would love to have the sportsman but...dh would definitely divorce me so i plan on starting small. I want one to hold at least a dozen eggs or more. Do i need a turner?

2. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Mine are just pipping as I type this. I have a HovaBator, with a turner,which I bought from a member here on this board. I would definately get a turner IF you can't be there to do the turns each time. If you work, or are pretty busy, then by all means, get the turner. And yes, oh yes, it's addictive![​IMG]

3. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Well, I don't know if I can help much here-I home made my 'bator [​IMG] First time even getting into chickies at all, so, ran into a few problems, but I'll know better if I ever build again XP Like not to put the light to close to the eggs. Chickie 1 was trying like mad to get at it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by