Buying Baytril - Buyer Beware

Are they all sick or do they get sick one at a time? trying to figure out why you are treating the entire flock did the vet say what they had and if it was contagious?
They get sick one at a time. There are more than three birds that are currently affected. She did not give me any information about Megabacteria, only said that was what it was, and I am questioning her diagnosis now after reading online. Also, if Megabateria is not a bacteria but a fungus, it should not be treated with Baytril, because Baytril can "cause" a fungal infection. Also she did not say anything about not eating the eggs while treating with Baytril.

If you have one that you haven't treated yet, can you cull it and send it to state vet for necropsy? I know that sounds harsh, but this sounds like bad stuff.

If you have one that you haven't treated yet, can you cull it and send it to state vet for necropsy? I know that sounds harsh, but this sounds like bad stuff.

I don't think that sounds harsh. Funny you should suggest that, one died the day I went to the vet and I took it also. She said she does not treat dead animals. I said I brought it in case she would want to cut it open and she said no. We have disposed of it now. I am going to call the state tomorrow to see if I can get some help.
Thank you.

She gave me 66 MG that was $108 of the charge. I tried to post pictures of the chickens but they are not loading.

She said that is was Megabateria, I looked in the microscope and there were definitely a lot of stuff there. They were long and curvy. When I looked online at Megabateria they are "rod" like and it is now not considered a bacteria but instead a fungus. So I don't think she actually knows.
Our symptoms start with a bloody vent and progresses to an irritated and swollen vent and the poop/diarrhea eats or burns the feathers off, obviously some acidic poop. They still lay eggs. Even though they look awful, they don't act sick. And then they die. This started several months ago.
When were they wormed last and did the vet check for worms and parisites?

I don't think that sounds harsh. Funny you should suggest that, one died the day I went to the vet and I took it also. She said she does not treat dead animals. I said I brought it in case she would want to cut it open and she said no. We have disposed of it now. I am going to call the state tomorrow to see if I can get some help.
Thank you.

What a sorry excuse for a veterinarian.
somad.gif
Outrageous prices, uppity attitude, and an unwillingness to get her hands dirty doing a basic necropsy. She sounds like a spoiled brat, too bad she found a niche that will allow her to be that way.

My vet sold me the Baytril for about a dollar per ml, gave me a lot of advice on how to administer it, and a handful of syringes to boot. Keep looking for a better vet and get one of those sick birds sent off to a lab.

When were they wormed last and did the vet check for worms and parisites?

I have been treating with Corid. I have done 3 series with it and then have just been treating every day for a while. She did not have anything possitive to say about Corid. But she did not check for worms. She did look for lice and mites, they are clean of them.

Sorry about the blank post - #49 & #51, I think it is a problem with the pictures loading. I will have some help after school today so maybe I can get them posted then.

I have been treating with Corid. I have done 3 series with it and then have just been treating every day for a while. She did not have anything possitive to say about Corid. But she did not check for worms. She did look for lice and mites, they are clean of them.
Dang what kind of vet is this , checking for worms should have been the first thing they did, worms can cause all kinds of problems and cause secondary infections, keeping birds on a regularly worming schedule with the proper wormer can at least help eliminate those kind of problems and keeping up with it can help eliminate guess work when they get sick, they been wormed properly so look for something else that may cause the problems they are having.
wink.png

I feel really bad for you and your flock, i have now read several different folks dealing with a high priced vet and their care they weren't proving absolutely uncalled for IMO

What a sorry excuse for a veterinarian.
somad.gif
Outrageous prices, uppity attitude, and an unwillingness to get her hands dirty doing a basic necropsy. She sounds like a spoiled brat, too bad she found a niche that will allow her to be that way.

My vet sold me the Baytril for about a dollar per ml, gave me a lot of advice on how to administer it, and a handful of syringes to boot. Keep looking for a better vet and get one of those sick birds sent off to a lab.

X2!!!! Outrageous. You should also call the office and see if you can't persuade them to give you a prescription for Baytril.... For that much money, they can surely write out a prescription. Remind them that THE VET told you to go get it on the internet, and you NEED a prescription to follow what THE VET TOLD YOU TO DO. Or something like that...
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom