buying chicks

ericmcginn5

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
do you know were i can order baby chicks the problem i am havving is i only need 3 i want 3 red sexlinks

Meyer has a minimum of three chicks April-Dec (as does My Pet Chicken, a drop shipper who usually gets their chicks from Meyer)... but shipping is going to be really high. If you want Red Sex Links, you might consider getting more than 3, they are really easy to sell or place in the spring since they are so popular, and if you lose one you already have another replacement right there. Also, most farm store type places that sell chicks in the spring will have some kind of red sex link... and you might try posting in your state thread, maybe somebody close by will want to split an order.

Meyer has a minimum of three chicks April-Dec (as does My Pet Chicken, a drop shipper who usually gets their chicks from Meyer)... but shipping is going to be really high. If you want Red Sex Links, you might consider getting more than 3, they are really easy to sell or place in the spring since they are so popular, and if you lose one you already have another replacement right there. Also, most farm store type places that sell chicks in the spring will have some kind of red sex link... and you might try posting in your state thread, maybe somebody close by will want to split an order.
Wait a minute I tried ordering chicks in May and they told me I needed to buy 25 how cold does it get in May? Not cold at all. Why wouldn't they let me get 4 like I wanted?

Are you sure it was Meyer? A lot of the other hatcheries have mins of 15-25, but Meyer's is 3 from April to December of chicken chicks (some of the other species have different #s). Maybe they didn't understand when you were trying to order for? With the small numbers they ship heat packs with the chicks, instead of expecting the larger numbers of chicks to generate enough body heat to keep themselves warm, one reason shipping is so expensive on small numbers of chicks.

Are you sure it was Meyer? A lot of the other hatcheries have mins of 15-25, but Meyer's is 3 from April to December of chicken chicks (some of the other species have different #s). Maybe they didn't understand when you were trying to order for? With the small numbers they ship heat packs with the chicks, instead of expecting the larger numbers of chicks to generate enough body heat to keep themselves warm, one reason shipping is so expensive on small numbers of chicks.
It was Meyer. We called. And they told me that I could only buy 25 Dominique chicks. Not 3. I was a little Disappointed. I didn't have $100 dollars to get 25.

My pet chicken specializes in small orders. You make up for it in shipping, and you have to be so close to an airport.

Feed stores are a great place to buy chicks. I ask where they get them from--hatchery or local supplier.

You can also look into piggy backing onto someone else's order locally. I've split orders before and it's worked out well, it's just a good idea to have the hatchery mark your chicks so no one gets confused as to which chick goes to who.

My pet chicken specializes in small orders. You make up for it in shipping, and you have to be so close to an airport. 

Feed stores are a great place to buy chicks. I ask where they get them from--hatchery or local supplier.

You can also look into piggy backing onto someone else's order locally. I've split orders before and it's worked out well, it's just a good idea to have the hatchery mark your chicks so no one gets confused as to which chick goes to who.
I didn't know you could split an order heck if I knew that I wouldn't be buying hatching eggs! Ugh, I feel so stupid!

Back
Top Bottom