Sep 6, 2020
Looking into an incubator for duck eggs. I obviously want something that will work and not break but I also want to spend around $100 or preferably less as we are just starting out and will only be using it for our own purposes and not constantly having eggs in it. Does anyone have recommendations on a new starter incubator that won’t cost a fortune??

How many duck eggs are you wanting to hatch? If it's a small amount even a little giant or similar styrofoam incubator will work. I've had all types of incubators and it's not really about which one you use, but how you handle the incubation process.

Hatching ducks isn't like hatching chickens. I've had hundreds of ducks over the years. What I found to work the best was after a week of being in the incubator wetting the eggs with a spray bottle or something similar and letting the eggs cool down for 15 to 20 minutes and then putting them back under their heat source. This imitates the mother duck getting off of the clutch going for a dip in the pond and then coming back and sitting on the eggs and cooling them down and then gradually warming up to her body temperature. You'll want to do this until a couple days before hatch and then leave them be.

Turning is also important, I'm not so sure about the Turner trays that go inside the styrofoam incubators that hold the duck eggs but if you lay them down just rotate them a couple times a day.

How many duck eggs are you wanting to hatch? If it's a small amount even a little giant or similar styrofoam incubator will work. I've had all types of incubators and it's not really about which one you use, but how you handle the incubation process.

Hatching ducks isn't like hatching chickens. I've had hundreds of ducks over the years. What I found to work the best was after a week of being in the incubator wetting the eggs with a spray bottle or something similar and letting the eggs cool down for 15 to 20 minutes and then putting them back under their heat source. This imitates the mother duck getting off of the clutch going for a dip in the pond and then coming back and sitting on the eggs and cooling them down and then gradually warming up to her body temperature. You'll want to do this until a couple days before hatch and then leave them be.

Turning is also important, I'm not so sure about the Turner trays that go inside the styrofoam incubators that hold the duck eggs but if you lay them down just rotate them a couple times a day.
Probably would want to hatch a dozen or so at a time. I know it can be a temperamental process so I definitely want an incubator that helps with some of the work to it. I know if I want something that preforms better and has more options I will pay more so I kinda go against my not wanting to spend a lot. My question is have you found a fairly priced incubator that rotates the eggs can fit about a dozen and has good turn out (obviously with me doing what I should be doing to help) ?

Well at tractor supply styrofoam incubator is 50 bucks and the Turner is 50 bucks so there's your 100. If you're just wanting to have to couple at a time that would probably be your best bet.... Also there's the natureright 360 that turns eggs but that's 150. But I can't stress enough how important the wetting and cooling processes and no incubator is going to do that for you.

Last edited:
Well at tractor supply styrofoam incubator is 50 bucks and the Turner is 50 bucks so there's your 100. If you're just wanting to have to couple at a time that would probably be your best bet.... Also there's the natureright 360 that turns eggs but that's 150. But I can't stress enough how important the wetting and cooling processes and no incubator is going to do that for you.
Ok thanks for the information. I’ll keep that in mind. I would definitely look more into the process before I try to incubate any

Ok thanks for the information. I’ll keep that in mind. I would definitely look more into the process before I try to incubate any
I am looking at the nurture 360. Have you had an experience with that particular one ?

As I posted in another thread (yesterday?), I'm using this one to do 12 eggs at a time, it fits my Pekin duck eggs just fine, the timer/count down can be reset for a differing number of days (convenient), its run non-stop since November w/o issue, the temp is quite good, and the humidity control is the same as any other of the same design (which is to say, "so so" at best). I dry incubate, in an RV (so my humidity changes thru the day based on outside conditions), no manual humidity adjustment system would work for me.

Paid $85 for mine, its now up to $94 on Amazon, but it is in budget, and will work for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-need-help-picking-out-an-incubator.1463207/post-24374352

My Duck hatch rates are 50/50 right now, while my Chick hatch rates at 85% (counting all eggs in the incubator, even those that later proved unfertile). We've had multiple power losses (I did mention I'm living in an RV?) on every hatching thus far - from minutes to hours in duration. Full disclosure.

As I posted in another thread (yesterday?), I'm using this one to do 12 eggs at a time, it fits my Pekin duck eggs just fine, the timer/count down can be reset for a differing number of days (convenient), its run non-stop since November w/o issue, the temp is quite good, and the humidity control is the same as any other of the same design (which is to say, "so so" at best). I dry incubate, in an RV (so my humidity changes thru the day based on outside conditions), no manual humidity adjustment system would work for me.

Paid $85 for mine, its now up to $94 on Amazon, but it is in budget, and will work for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-need-help-picking-out-an-incubator.1463207/post-24374352

My Duck hatch rates are 50/50 right now, while my Chick hatch rates at 85% (counting all eggs in the incubator, even those that later proved unfertile). We've had multiple power losses (I did mention I'm living in an RV?) on every hatching thus far - from minutes to hours in duration. Full disclosure.
Ok I do see the name of the incubator in your last post. Sorry I have a few threads going trying to get more information before I dive in. Thank you for your time and information. I really do appreciate it !! Just picked that incubator up and going to get it going tonight. Excited to start this! I will keep in mind the humidity

Back
Top Bottom