BYC Café

Whoop, glad to hear your Dad is settled in. He will adapt surprisingly well and you won't have to worry. As far as the caregivers go...if they are good at their jobs they will find a new client, it's not your problem! It sounds like you are handling this just fine!
Whoop, I agree with Julie 100%! Your wonderful caregivers are worth gold. If anything, they are probably going to miss having wonderful employers and patients. Glad your Dad seems to be adapting. Did your Mum have a hard time with him leaving?

Wiggles, I love your house! Actually, I might be more envious of your pastures too..., if I give it a good ponder

I have never thought much about cooking rice heating up the house, bread yes, not rice. Nice cool rain here today and I made peach jam or syrup yesterday, whatever turns out. I was in a rush because my neighbor called and needed a ride down for a MRII 'cause the other arrangements got messed up. My DS2 flies in from CA today and gets a break from the fires.

Scott, what is happening out your way? Been riding?

It is flaking at my house! How weird, not real snow, not rain, just tiny tiny flakes floating around. Guess the air up higher is cold. I wish I could get a pic of it for you all.

Last edited:
I'm cooking a big pot of stewed tomatoes right now.
I would like to see the 'flaky' stuff about now myself!
We haven't got any riding this summer, the DW don't handle the heat and humidity very well anymore.
Hoping for some fall rides when the heat gives up.
Woop, doing good, chin up and all that!
hugs.gif

Scott

Exactly :)

Bloody hot here today. Going to have to bring the girls some
Cross pollinated watermelon when I get home....

I planted watermelon. It ended up not quite right...we're debating if it cross pollinated with the cucumber. Can that happen??

"They say no"......

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/8-23-1996/crosspol.html

Since they have a similar flowering habit, bloom about the same time, and are members of the same plant family, it is logical that gardeners might assume that squash, melons, and cucumbers will cross-pollinate. Fortunately, however, this is not true. The female flowers of each crop can be fertilized only by pollen from male flowers of the same species. Cross pollination, however, can occur between varieties within a species. Cross pollination can be seen in the squashes and pumpkins. Summer squash, pumpkins, gourds, and some types of winter squash belong to the same plant species Cucurbita pepo. All species members may cross with one another. Thus, an acorn squash will cross pollinate with a zucchini or a miniature gourd. However, muskmelon (Cucumis melo) and cucumbers (Cucumis sativus) belong to different species and will not cross with each other or members of the Cucurbita genus. An example of incompatibility can also be seen in the animal kingdom. Cardinals cannot mate with blue jays. (The part of the lesson about the "birds").

Back
Top Bottom