BYC Café

Yes, but, sometimes a guinea and a rooster breed. The resulting guin-hens die fairly young. Tigers and lions have produced tigons (though I am assuming it was from AI.

I have never seen a mixed breed wild bird - though I don't get out much. coyote/ dog crosses - etc. Not sure how all those examples come to be.

DD, Feathersite has pictures of some guinea hybrids.

This is a guinea-naked neck chicken

This is a guinea-peafowl:

I think that 1st one would give me nightmares.

NorthFLChick, I totally agree - a bird like that could scare anyone off of poultry. I bet if you ate it - you would have 'it" coming up on you all night long - pass the Tums.

Those crossed with pea fowl are kinda neat - I would guess they don't have a long life either.

No, the crosses don't seem to live long. There was a comment under the guinea-pea that none lived past 4 yrs and they were always sterile.

Here's another cross, guinea-Easter Egger:

I think I prefer my chickens to look like chickens.

"They say no"......

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/8-23-1996/crosspol.html

Since they have a similar flowering habit, bloom about the same time, and are members of the same plant family, it is logical that gardeners might assume that squash, melons, and cucumbers will cross-pollinate. Fortunately, however, this is not true. The female flowers of each crop can be fertilized only by pollen from male flowers of the same species. Cross pollination, however, can occur between varieties within a species. Cross pollination can be seen in the squashes and pumpkins. Summer squash, pumpkins, gourds, and some types of winter squash belong to the same plant species Cucurbita pepo. All species members may cross with one another. Thus, an acorn squash will cross pollinate with a zucchini or a miniature gourd. However, muskmelon (Cucumis melo) and cucumbers (Cucumis sativus) belong to different species and will not cross with each other or members of the Cucurbita genus. An example of incompatibility can also be seen in the animal kingdom. Cardinals cannot mate with blue jays. (The part of the lesson about the "birds").
if i remember taxonomy correctly, The pollen has three gametes in it. One grows the pollen tube down the stylus (the pistol) to the ovary of the flower. The other two can then travel down into the ovary (fruit part) of the flower. One of them goes to the ovum and fertilizes the seed. The other goes into the ovary and stimulates fruit production. You have seen nice large apples with only one seed in it? or one that seems developed all but in one spot? one of those three guys were slackers. But that is why in some older gardening books they say to plant watermelon away from the cucumbers or the fruit won't be as sweet. The theory that the ovary was stimulated by a different gamete, even though the ovum was not because they do not cross.

Corn does weird things. That was so far beyond my mental capacity they didn't even bother trying to explain it to us.

I have to say, we just got back from dropping my son off at college. It is just an engineering school. his group are just physics nerds. I have never felt so mentally inadequate in my life. They don't even offer pillow classes.(the ones you take to soften your load)
Physics with calculus,chem,and calculus and some humanities that requires calculus. I feel like I just dropped his soul off in math.... heck.

Last edited:
Hello gang! I've had a few crazy weeks with my work, so I haven't been able to stop in for coffee and cookies.
I know Wiggles has been busy on the homefront, so I thought I'd bring the cookies this time.
Hope all is well with everyone!

Those are some creepy looking birds, period.
Eggy, I like your explanation better. Hang on, stupid kitten is in the garbage4....what a mess. I had put it up to keep him out of the bathroom garbage,
roll.png
, Now I have kitty litter sweepings all in the sink...... just like having a toddler again! Such an angel when he sleeps.......

I think "Miracle," the guin-hen was about 8 mos. old when she died. We all had thought she was a he, until she laid an egg. R.I.P. Miracle. When she was young, she could not keep up with the others - the first sign.

Back
Top Bottom