BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, but, sometimes a guinea and a rooster breed. The resulting guin-hens die fairly young. Tigers and lions have produced tigons (though I am assuming it was from AI.

I have never seen a mixed breed wild bird - though I don't get out much. coyote/ dog crosses - etc. Not sure how all those examples come to be.

2. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    DD, Feathersite has pictures of some guinea hybrids.

This is a guinea-naked neck chicken
    [​IMG]

This is a guinea-peafowl:
    [​IMG]

I think that 1st one would give me nightmares.

3. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

keep in mind that most of our garden seeds are hybrids, and some times they don't work out like they plan. Also if you saved seed from a real good melon to plant the seeds will not grow out/up like the parent plant.
    Scott

4. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    NorthFLChick, I totally agree - a bird like that could scare anyone off of poultry. I bet if you ate it - you would have 'it" coming up on you all night long - pass the Tums.

Those crossed with pea fowl are kinda neat - I would guess they don't have a long life either.

5. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    No, the crosses don't seem to live long. There was a comment under the guinea-pea that none lived past 4 yrs and they were always sterile.

Here's another cross, guinea-Easter Egger:
    [​IMG]

I think I prefer my chickens to look like chickens.

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    if i remember taxonomy correctly, The pollen has three gametes in it. One grows the pollen tube down the stylus (the pistol) to the ovary of the flower. The other two can then travel down into the ovary (fruit part) of the flower. One of them goes to the ovum and fertilizes the seed. The other goes into the ovary and stimulates fruit production. You have seen nice large apples with only one seed in it? or one that seems developed all but in one spot? one of those three guys were slackers. But that is why in some older gardening books they say to plant watermelon away from the cucumbers or the fruit won't be as sweet. The theory that the ovary was stimulated by a different gamete, even though the ovum was not because they do not cross.

Corn does weird things. That was so far beyond my mental capacity they didn't even bother trying to explain it to us.

I have to say, we just got back from dropping my son off at college. It is just an engineering school. his group are just physics nerds. I have never felt so mentally inadequate in my life. They don't even offer pillow classes.(the ones you take to soften your load)
    Physics with calculus,chem,and calculus and some humanities that requires calculus. I feel like I just dropped his soul off in math.... heck.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Hello gang! I've had a few crazy weeks with my work, so I haven't been able to stop in for coffee and cookies.
    I know Wiggles has been busy on the homefront, so I thought I'd bring the cookies this time.
    Hope all is well with everyone!

[​IMG]

8. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Yum!!!

9. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Those are some creepy looking birds, period.
    Eggy, I like your explanation better. Hang on, stupid kitten is in the garbage4....what a mess. I had put it up to keep him out of the bathroom garbage, [​IMG], Now I have kitty litter sweepings all in the sink...... just like having a toddler again! Such an angel when he sleeps.......

10. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think "Miracle," the guin-hen was about 8 mos. old when she died. We all had thought she was a he, until she laid an egg. R.I.P. Miracle. When she was young, she could not keep up with the others - the first sign.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by