BYC Café

WOW! That's an incredible picture!! I can never get good pictures of the moon.
thanks - my camera has a phenomenal zoom for a pocket point and shoot device. Sadly the integral flash blew out about 6 months ago and it's impossible to replace, but I think the camera's worth keeping for the zoom :)

thanks - my camera has a phenomenal zoom for a pocket point and shoot device. Sadly the integral flash blew out about 6 months ago and it's impossible to replace, but I think the camera's worth keeping for the zoom :)
I would love a zoom. This phone may have one, I need to figure that out.

This is one prime shade spot. It catches the breeze. It was 30 something when I took this.
As it gets hotter, they disappear into the weeds further down the bank.
They look hot at around 38C. Not desperate but not comfortable either. At 40C+ they go into the woods across the field at the other side of the field at the bottom of the bank you can see in the picture. There are spots there that knock 6C off the temperature in less well shaded places. basically the sun never shines there. I get concerned at temperatures above 41C. 41C is a chickens core body temp and if the ambient temp is the same they can't transfer body heat. The year before last we had a couple of days at 45C and that was worrying.
P8024308.JPG
P8024309.JPG

I brought in the Mama bunny, she looked hot and panting. She has 6 babies, they all look fine. Put her in a storage bin and gave her food, water, grass and alfalfa cubes. She is keeping cool in the spare bedroom. The temperature dropped after the rain, so she can go back out after supper if it quits raining. Babies are old enough to be on their own now anyway.
20200730_200044.jpg

Fabio is starting to moult too. I've noticed a lot of long blond feathers on the boards and in the run but he didn't look thinned out to me. So I hoisted him up for a look see (much to his chagrin) and he's got pin feathers coming in to replace the beard Mommy Dearest plucked out and pin feathers coming in on his hackles and feet. He leg feathers have never looked better since he decided to give up on flogging me. :D
The roosters here don't moult the same way the hens do. It's a bit at a time it seems. One hardly notices apart from the arrival of new tail feathers.

The roosters here don't moult the same way the hens do. It's a bit at a time it seems. One hardly notices apart from the arrival of new tail feathers.
Yep, well mine are confined so I recognize their dropped feathers on the poop boards, but never had one go hard molt.
Some hens molt slow too, others you can't miss.
1596407366602.png

1596407436826.png

Back
Top Bottom