BYC Café

We don't use a lot of salt either. I was really just kidding. Except for Christmas when I make a lot of cookies, we don't have sweets unless we have company. I find the same thing to be true, many restaurant foods or other people's food has so much salt that it's all you can taste.

But, we do love ice cream. Usually just French Vanilla with fresh berries on it from our patch in the summers.

Sounds like you don't eat much of anything. I want to bring you a pot roast or something. :D
We don't eat processed food. So I use fresh ground pink Himalayan salt when cooking along with lots of herbs and spices.
Eating fresh is very time consuming though. I have to shop multiple times a week and all the prep takes a long time too. Hence, I lots of crock pots and meals that last multiple days so I don't have to cook daily.

We don't eat processed food. So I use fresh ground pink Himalayan salt when cooking along with lots of herbs and spices.
Eating fresh is very time consuming though. I have to shop multiple times a week and all the prep takes a long time too. Hence, I lots of crock pots and meals that last multiple days so I don't have to cook daily.
Same here. I like to cook with whole foods. Luckily I am retired and have the time for the extra prep work. Truly home made food is just so much better tasting.

This is the main reason why I have not started eating better. It takes so much time and work and it’s a tad bit overwhelming :th :oops:

This is the main reason why I have not started eating better. It takes so much time and work and it’s a tad bit overwhelming :th :oops:
I understand what you mean. The reason I make so many sauces and roux based foods is because, if I'm going to go to all the work, then I want a fabulous meal at the end of it. I always make extra and either freeze it in individual serving sizes or in another meal size. The more I cook, and the more I experiment with new recipes, the more I enjoy it.

But I didn't cook like this when I worked. Work-night meals had to be put together in about 1/2 hour, or they didn't make it on the menu. 😁

My coop design is decidedly different than yours as is my climate. I've installed reinforced vinyl tarps around the run and the chickens seem quite happy. We had some ugly winds 2 days ago that didn't bother my flock and of course I have no chicks ATM.
This bout of weather is unusual for this area. All the chickens went to roost okay; some rather wet. We get rain and plenty of it when it decides to get going. It's been raining heavily for more than 48 hours now and the ground here just washes away. It's been the wind and the temperature that bothers the chickens (and me come to that) more than the rain.
We've lost a large section of the track North and that's the fire escape route so it's serious.
You can't get a vehicle up it now with any confidence that what's there will stay stable. It's a few thousand pounds worth of work to repair.
The bridge on the way down to the village has been washed away by the torrent coming down the mountain. I can go through the woods on the bike but until it's repaired, no four wheeled vehicles can pass.
The sun will come out soon. The wet will dry up and I'll be posting more blue sky pictures before you know it.:)

This bout of weather is unusual for this area. All the chickens went to roost okay; some rather wet. We get rain and plenty of it when it decides to get going. It's been raining heavily for more than 48 hours now and the ground here just washes away. It's been the wind and the temperature that bothers the chickens (and me come to that) more than the rain.
We've lost a large section of the track North and that's the fire escape route so it's serious.
You can't get a vehicle up it now with any confidence that what's there will stay stable. It's a few thousand pounds worth of work to repair.
The bridge on the way down to the village has been washed away by the torrent coming down the mountain. I can go through the woods on the bike but until it's repaired, no four wheeled vehicles can pass.
The sun will come out soon. The wet will dry up and I'll be posting more blue sky pictures before you know it.:)
So sorry! And I complain about a foggy morning, shame on me! :oops:

Yet such an important part of your overall health.

Yeah I know but I usually forget to eat for a while so then I’m starving and want something fast. :oops:

Like my toast at midnight last night. :lau :oops:

I do cook more lately but even then it’s usually just like eggs (scrambled, omelette, or sometimes fried inside a slice of bread) and/or sautéed spinach or occasionally bell pepper. Or sometimes maybe chicken and some vegetables but that’s really it. I never really cook much complicated or varied whatever haha

And lately, the past week or so, it’s been a lot of carbs. Oatmeal, toast, pancakes, French toast, rice,etc. :oops:

Do need to cut back on that. Maybe starting today. :lau :oops:

But honestly even simple supposedly fast stuff takes me forever let alone complicated stuff. I’m super slow at cooking. :oops:

I understand what you mean. The reason I make so many sauces and roux based foods is because, if I'm going to go to all the work, then I want a fabulous meal at the end of it. I always make extra and either freeze it in individual serving sizes or in another meal size. The more I cook, and the more I experiment with new recipes, the more I enjoy it.

But I didn't cook like this when I worked. Work-night meals had to be put together in about 1/2 hour, or they didn't make it on the menu. 😁

That makes a lot of sense!! And yeah, when I actually do do it, I like it. Like the other day I made rice and beans with tomatoes and bell peppers and it was really good I thought. I was going to just have eggs again but decided to actually cook haha

So I do like it but I’m also just super slow at cooking and preparing and stuff so even those fast half hour recipes are probably at least an hour or more for me :lau :oops:

Plus standing at the stove and then cleaning and stuff. I get tired. :lau :oops:

Of course I’m also pretty out of shape but still haha

Idk, it’s just like hours of work for not that much benefit or food. :/

But maybe I need to start making bigger portions like that. Probably the same amount of time and might be more worth it.

Back
Top Bottom