BYC Café

So, we were talking about the wonderful free range life the chickens and I live here.. As I mentioned Hinge took a goshawk hit.
If they make it back to the coop and eat, I wait until they are roosting to give them an examination. I mentioned to the main house that I could use a hand but they were off to dinner apparently. The track is now open and the three or four days they've had to spend here has all been too much for them.:rolleyes: Nobody to talk to and no one to impress makes this lot fray around the edges.
Notch is fine. He's just lost a few feathers. Well done him.
Hinge isn't so fine.
It's quite difficult to take pictures with one hand while holding a chickens wing up with the other with a point and squirt camera. The chickens don't like the flash etc etc.
This is a shot under one wing. All that white is bare skin and the red is of course blood.
View attachment 2010903
This is more of the same side.
View attachment 2010901
This is the other side under her wing.
View attachment 2010902
It looks as if she has two puncture wounds, one under each wing. A goshawk claw across her back sideways on could account for the wounds. She also has a small wound on her belly.
View attachment 2010900
Her feathers are matted with blood on both sides and a lot have been ripped out. Others feel out during cleaning.
She was very calm as I cleaned her up. I stand them on the kitchen table or on the floor and don't restrain them. If they flap away or panic I let them go and gently steer them back to where I want them.
Hinge is pretty feral. There is no way to catch her during the day.
She's back on a perch in the coop with her family which is a lot less stressful for the chicken than being shut in some strange container. I'm the one who deals with the stress overnight hoping she is still active in the morning.
Big hugs to Hinge!!! :hugs I hope she will be okay.

Happy Anniversary to one of my favorite couples. A couple that I respect. A couple that inspires me to be both a better person & a better partner.

You have been so lucky to find (and stay) with your Princess & she has had a very good eye for spotting a true, rare prince amongst the frogs. Because of your positive influence I will continue to strive for patience & I will keep kissing my frog, because I do believe there is a prince in there somewhere.

You can tell us for the next 56yrs that you 'married up', but we all know that she adores you & you her. Wishing you much happiness & many, MANY more wonderful years together. If anybody can get to 75yrs of marital bliss (or at least 75yrs without killing each other) its you two. 💜
frog4.png

frog2.jpg

frog3.jpg

frog1.jpg

frog.jpg

So, we were talking about the wonderful free range life the chickens and I live here.. As I mentioned Hinge took a goshawk hit.
If they make it back to the coop and eat, I wait until they are roosting to give them an examination. I mentioned to the main house that I could use a hand but they were off to dinner apparently. The track is now open and the three or four days they've had to spend here has all been too much for them.:rolleyes: Nobody to talk to and no one to impress makes this lot fray around the edges.
Notch is fine. He's just lost a few feathers. Well done him.
Hinge isn't so fine.
It's quite difficult to take pictures with one hand while holding a chickens wing up with the other with a point and squirt camera. The chickens don't like the flash etc etc.
This is a shot under one wing. All that white is bare skin and the red is of course blood.
View attachment 2010903
This is more of the same side.
View attachment 2010901
This is the other side under her wing.
View attachment 2010902
It looks as if she has two puncture wounds, one under each wing. A goshawk claw across her back sideways on could account for the wounds. She also has a small wound on her belly.
View attachment 2010900
Her feathers are matted with blood on both sides and a lot have been ripped out. Others feel out during cleaning.
She was very calm as I cleaned her up. I stand them on the kitchen table or on the floor and don't restrain them. If they flap away or panic I let them go and gently steer them back to where I want them.
Hinge is pretty feral. There is no way to catch her during the day.
She's back on a perch in the coop with her family which is a lot less stressful for the chicken than being shut in some strange container. I'm the one who deals with the stress overnight hoping she is still active in the morning.
Yikes! :eek: I'm so sorry, Shad. Hope she is still puttering along come morning & makes a good recovery.

Back
Top Bottom