BYC Café

Good morning, Cafe. I brewed a pot of coffee and lit a fire in the wood stove.

Winter has arrived with a vengeance here. The snow is blowing sideways with gusts to 40 mph and the temp dropped below freezing so everything is ice out there now.

Sit by the fire with a hot cup of coffee and enjoy. :)

Good morning Cafe!

Morning Tonya and thanks for the coffee. Cold here too, 23°F but no snow or rain...clear skies and no wind. The front finally pushed through early this morning. I've got a roaring fire going too!
20200227_063329.jpg

Everyone make it a great day! :celebrate

Good morning Cafe!

Morning Tonya and thanks for the coffee. Cold here too, 23°F but no snow or rain...clear skies and no wind. The front finally pushed through early this morning. I've got a roaring fire going too!
View attachment 2036696
Everyone make it a great day! :celebrate
It's colder down there than it is up here!

:barnie What to do....

I posted on the Coffee Club the following:

I found more lumps on Fuji. I took her in last night to get them needle aspirated. I knew before the vet got back that the one on her side over her ribs was another MCT because it swelled up to more than twice it's size after getting stabbed. It is. She has another tiny one on her chest. Tiny or no, they leave huge scars when removed because the surgeon has to take such a large margin.
Fuji also has a wart on her right forearm that she's been chewing on that the vet thinks should come off if I do the surgery.
Problem is, Fuji has a heart problem and is on medication. Her Holter monitor revealed a max heart rate of 215 bpm. She is on Sotolol to control that but she still has the following issues:
Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) - focal atrial tachycardia
Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease - Stage B1

So my vet wants Cornell to do the surgery. I am waiting for an estimate. I'm guessing it will be in the $1,500 range. I'll have to think on this. Fuji is asymptomatic and 13.5 years old.

So, due to her age, her heart condition, the cost of surgery and the fact that she is otherwise asymptomatic, I'm considering treating holistically and just adding an immune booster to her diet. I have them on Orijen with salmon oil, digestive enzymes and golden paste supplementation. I don't know if it will help but I doubt it will hurt if I give her a proper dose. I'm leaning towards medicinal mushroom blend for her.

All thoughts and opinions welcome.

I'm so sorry about Fuji, DL. Did they give you any kind of percentage of her making it through the surgery?

When our lab had a twisted gut he was 12 yrs old. Emergency surgery would've been 50% survival through the surgery and 50% survival after the surgery. It was either put him down or have them try. We decided that with his age, the odds of survival and the stress it would've put him through that it was better for him to let him go.

Depending on the odds of her making it through the surgery, I like the idea of your holistic approach. She would be comfortable, right? I imagine her recovery would be pretty difficult considering her age and the size of the wounds.

:hugs

Good morning, Cafe. I brewed a pot of coffee and lit a fire in the wood stove.

Winter has arrived with a vengeance here. The snow is blowing sideways with gusts to 40 mph and the temp dropped below freezing so everything is ice out there now.

Sit by the fire with a hot cup of coffee and enjoy. :)
The fire and coffee sounds lovely!

I'm so sorry about Fuji, DL. Did they give you any kind of percentage of her making it through the surgery?

When our lab had a twisted gut he was 12 yrs old. Emergency surgery would've been 50% survival through the surgery and 50% survival after the surgery. It was either put him down or have them try. We decided that with his age, the odds of survival and the stress it would've put him through that it was better for him to let him go.

Depending on the odds of her making it through the surgery, I like the idea of your holistic approach. She would be comfortable, right? I imagine her recovery would be pretty difficult considering her age and the size of the wounds.

:hugs
She was in terrible pain after the last surgery but it only lasted about a week. She's had three surgeries to remove MCTs since I adopted her at 6 years old. She's had 4 tumors removed. They just keep coming back.
Right now, you wouldn't know there was a thing wrong with her. Not from the heart or the lumps.

:barnie What to do....

I posted on the Coffee Club the following:

I found more lumps on Fuji. I took her in last night to get them needle aspirated. I knew before the vet got back that the one on her side over her ribs was another MCT because it swelled up to more than twice it's size after getting stabbed. It is. She has another tiny one on her chest. Tiny or no, they leave huge scars when removed because the surgeon has to take such a large margin.
Fuji also has a wart on her right forearm that she's been chewing on that the vet thinks should come off if I do the surgery.
Problem is, Fuji has a heart problem and is on medication. Her Holter monitor revealed a max heart rate of 215 bpm. She is on Sotolol to control that but she still has the following issues:
Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) - focal atrial tachycardia
Degenerative Mitral Valve Disease - Stage B1

So my vet wants Cornell to do the surgery. I am waiting for an estimate. I'm guessing it will be in the $1,500 range. I'll have to think on this. Fuji is asymptomatic and 13.5 years old.

So, due to her age, her heart condition, the cost of surgery and the fact that she is otherwise asymptomatic, I'm considering treating holistically and just adding an immune booster to her diet. I have them on Orijen with salmon oil, digestive enzymes and golden paste supplementation. I don't know if it will help but I doubt it will hurt if I give her a proper dose. I'm leaning towards medicinal mushroom blend for her.

All thoughts and opinions welcome.
Tonya, have you considered giving her Turmeric (Curcumin) it has anti-cancer, antioxidant properties. Just a thought! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom