BYC Café

Same here.
So.Much.Darkness. :|
Anyone else finding their birds are not eating much while molting?
It's pretty common aart. It's just many people don't notice. All the hens here go off the commercial feed to a greater or lesser degree when moulting. It seems, the heavier the moult, the more they go off the feed.

When I first noticed this a few years ago I checked a few crops at roost time and watched a few hens during the day. Here they eat, but it's things they forage mainly. There are particular grasses and roosts they seem to crave and bugs from the compost heap, the sheep field, and tiny bugs that live around the roots of the fruit trees, plus lots of grit/earth. All those I've checked on go to roost with at least half full crops so they're eating. I've come to the conclusion that there is something missing in the commercial feed they feel they need.

The weather's horrid, the flock are miserable molting, covid19 is surging across the country, and we can't go anywhere or do anything because of lock-down :(. But fresh whole salmon was going cheap in the supermarket yesterday (just under £9 for one that will feed 6 generously) and we enjoyed it with a teriyaki sauce tonight :drool; thank goodness for small treats!
Smoked Scottish salmon was on offer here a couple of weeks ago in the local Condis supermarket. I bought a small packet. Nice treat.

Good evening Cafe.
Pot of tea on the counter if anyone is interested. The last of the Turron is there as well.
Decent day here again. Looked like rain for a while then the clouds blew away. Got a bit of log splitting done. Spent most of the afternoon with Tribe 2. Mag, the second in command rooster just wants to fight everyone atm, incuding the hens.
Because the hens aren't laying, the roosters aren't being their usual 'you first dearest' at meal times and as for foraging for treats; forget it!
Managed to get a good look at Hinge this afternoon. She got attacked by a Goshawk a couple of years ago and a patch of skin on her chest got ripped away. lat year when she moulted that patch still stayed bare, this year it's grown feathers. She's just about done with the moulting. A bit more work on the tail feathers and she's done.
Bracket has just started and the others are giving her a wide berth. Her temper is on the short side atm. She's got a long way to go yet and has left it a bit late. She's the last to moult here.

The weather's horrid, the flock are miserable molting, covid19 is surging across the country, and we can't go anywhere or do anything because of lock-down :(. But fresh whole salmon was going cheap in the supermarket yesterday (just under £9 for one that will feed 6 generously) and we enjoyed it with a teriyaki sauce tonight :drool; thank goodness for small treats!
It is amazing how much better a nice dinner will make you feel!

Good afternoon, cafe. Nice day here. Strange to see green grass peeking out underneath the snow!

Had an avalanche (or two) yesterday:
PXL_20201028_174923106.jpg

Was up off and on all night with the snow sliding off the roof. I jumped, he jumped, the dog jumped haha. Multiple times. 😴

Made a fresh pot...

If I had my way our temps would sit between 20~25C all year round.
Sounds good to me! And some sun as well.

Sounds odd I know but it takes a while for them to feel like they belong to you.:lol:
Seems reasonable. Everything is used to the status quo, mess with that and it takes time for the "new normal" to set in. Happy chewing!

Anyone else finding their birds are not eating much while molting?
Mine! You would think they would eat more since they need to make all those new feathers.

I've come to the conclusion that there is something missing in the commercial feed they feel they need.
Sure wish we knew what that was, I'd happily give it to my girls. Big mess out there at the moment. Such a sad looking lot.

Back
Top Bottom