BYC Café

many thanks, but I think I'm going to go with this instead
Roman-style tripe
Tripe is treated much like pasta in this classic Italian dish (trippa alla romana) – coated in a rich tomato sauce and topped with a handful of salty-sweet parmesan.

Serves 4-6
1kg tripe, sliced into thin ribbons, fat and gristle discarded
1 onion, diced
6 garlic cloves
Olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 clove
A sprig of thyme
Water
230-470ml passata, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Parmesan or pecorino, to serve

1 Boil the tripe in a large pan of salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2 Meanwhile, soften the onion and garlic over a low heat in olive oil in a casserole. Stir in the drained tripe and season well with salt and pepper. Add the bay leaf, clove and thyme, then add water to cover by 5cm.

3 Cover and simmer gently for at least an hour, until the tripe is extremely tender. Taste the broth and adjust the seasonings. Allow to cool then refrigerate overnight.

4 The next day, heat up the tripe, adding the passata and red pepper flakes and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Let us know how it tastes!

Good evening everyone!
Uhhhh....no. Not common in the US.

Maybe @Shadrach or @LaFleche does?
Sorry, but I cannot be of any help with tripe.

And the only thing I remember from my childhood regarding kidneys, was that the whole house smelled terribly of urine when my mother prepared them.
They have to be watered for quite some time prior to any further processing and she served them with caper cream sauce and potatoes. Not my favourite childhood memory. 🤐

Good evening everyone!

Sorry, but I cannot be of any help with tripe.

And the only thing I remember from my childhood regarding kidneys, was that the whole house smelled terribly of urine when my mother prepared them.
They have to be watered for quite some time prior to any further processing and she served them with caper cream sauce and potatoes. Not my favourite childhood memory. 🤐
I might have to add that I have a very sensitive olfactory sense, so for others the smell might not have been so offensive as it was for me.

Back
Top Bottom