BYC Café

Sorry to hear about Barb

Ditto

Morning all, thanks for the coffee. It's Warming up here and starting to dry out in the high places.
Glad to here about the hatch Meg.
Thanks, CLS! There were at least two more pips this morning. I had them all facing up so I could see pips, then the karate kids got all the eggs booted to the edge of the incubator :rolleyes: Best laid plans...

Glad to hear you're warming up :cool:

It will likely change color though!
Yes, for sure! I'll have to see what it looks like when dry. I've had really light red/yellow ones with chipmunk markings from a broody, but never a pure yellow. I don't know that I've got the stock to have an all yellow chick...I think this one came from a white shell, but can't remember now. It was so long ago :rolleyes::lau

Yes, for sure! I'll have to see what it looks like when dry. I've had really light red/yellow ones with chipmunk markings from a broody, but never a pure yellow. I don't know that I've got the stock to have an all yellow chick...I think this one came from a white shell, but can't remember now. It was so long ago :rolleyes::lau
Look for light barring under the yellow.

It will be fun to see what the adult plumage looks like!

Good afternoon everyone!
Now I've got a hen with a severe prolapse.
I found her with poopy butt late last night and should have brought her in then. I cleaned her up this morning. It looks bad. I slathered it with hemorrhoid cream, pushed it in and held it. She pushed it back out. I did that 4 more times. It won't stay in. I'm hoping that the hemorrhoid cream will eventually reduce swelling enough to help it stay in.
If not, I've lost another one.
This is Barb, my first broody mom
View attachment 2543121
She pooped on it.
Oh dear :hugs

Sometimes it can help to have a vet do a few stitches either side of the vent to prevent the prolapsing over and over again.
But for me this would be not an option, honestly.

She seems to be quite fat as I can see the yellowish accumulations around the vent and underneath her skin. This can cause prolapse as well.

Good afternoon everyone!

Oh dear :hugs

Sometimes it can help to have a vet do a few stitches either side of the vent to prevent the prolapsing over and over again.
But for me this would be not an option, honestly.

She seems to be quite fat as I can see the yellowish accumulations around the vent and underneath her skin. This can cause prolapse as well.
She's not fat. She's actually in good body condition. None of my birds are fat. I give 3 small handfuls of bird seed, about 3 tablespoons of raisins and 2 small handfuls of meal worms to a flock of 28 birds each day. That's it. They go through a 50# bag of Flock Raiser in about 10 days.
I would never do surgery with a bird. If I can't cure them or they simply aren't curable they will be euthanized to prevent suffering when the time is right. If you can't evacuate waste without pain and part of your insides are hanging out to become necrotic or be pecked at, that time is as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom