BYC Café

Good afternoon Café!

I brought a fresh pot for all to enjoy.

Still boiling hot here 🥵. Lawns and pastures looking like dry steppe. Most trees have their branches hanging down low and some branches even break from lack of water. What a sad sight. Weatherforecast has still no rain predicted for our region.:th

@DobieLover In case this one might not show up, try one of these, I hear they are very efficient and dont ask for more than a few carrots as reward for their services:

https://www.zeitfuerdieschule.de/materialien/arbeitsblatt/wilde-tiere-in-deutschland-der-biber/

Good afternoon Café!

I brought a fresh pot for all to enjoy.

Still boiling hot here 🥵. Lawns and pastures looking like dry steppe. Most trees have their branches hanging down low and some branches even break from lack of water. What a sad sight. Weatherforecast has still no rain predicted for our region.:th

@DobieLover In case this one might not show up, try one of these, I hear they are very efficient and dont ask for more than a few carrots as reward for their services:

https://www.zeitfuerdieschule.de/materialien/arbeitsblatt/wilde-tiere-in-deutschland-der-biber/
The little city next to us, on the Sacramento River had an infestation of beavers several years ago. The article I read said that the Family was eating breakfast when a tree fell in their back yard...Hungry beavers!

My body and brain are fried. We got the rest of the house sub-fascia installed, the ridge extension up, the sleepers in and only 2 of the 8 jack rafters in. All the lumber is bowed and twisted to some extent so applying the same angles at each location doesn't work. We nailed the first one and it went rapidly downhill from there.
I reached into my back pocket to get my pencil and laid my finger open a card of framing nails and that was IT for me. I cleaned and bandaged the cut and started watering my plants while Joe kept puttering on the roof.
Of course, the brain won't stop thinking about things so I do have something I'd like to try... later. After I'm done watering and cooling off for a bit. How frustrating this is!!

Last edited:
While watering the plants I came up with how I was going to cut these stupid jack rafters. I installed 4. First cut fit right on all 4. There's just one more to go but I was just too spent to cut it.
I did these by myself after Joe left and sent this picture to Joe. He answered "Oh damn. That's awesome!"
IMG_20220812_184150505_HDR.jpg

You're darned tootin' it is, Joe!
We are in good shape to finish all the framing tomorrow and maybe pop in a course or two of shiplap roof decking.

My body and brain are fried. We got the rest of the house sub-fascia installed, the ridge extension up, the sleepers in and only 2 of the 8 jack rafters in. All the lumber is bowed and twisted to some extent so applying the same angles at each location doesn't work. We nailed the first one and it wen rapidly downhill from there.
I reached into my back pocket to get my pencil and laid my finger open a card of framing nails and that was IT for me. I cleaned and bandaged the cut and started watering my plant while Joe kept puttering on the roof.
Of course, the brain won't stop thinking about things so do have something I'd like to try... later. After I'm done watering and cooling off for a bit. How frustrating this is!!
Ooops, typed this out earlier and must not have clicked post........

That stinks DL.
Did the other 'better' roofer ever show up.....or the tree feller fella?
Hang in there. :hugs

Ooops, typed this out earlier and must not have clicked post........

That stinks DL.
Did the other 'better' roofer ever show up.....or the tree feller fella?
Hang in there. :hugs
The experienced roofer is just that. A roofer. Not a framer. He'll come when the deck is on.
The tree feller comes tomorrow afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom