BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR
    LG, you just might be my hero!

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Yep lazy Gardner total hero!
    I like the way you think. I use a half baked version of permaculture keep the weeds and all the volunteers too. but I think your doing something even better... Got a book out :)? Or recommended reading at least?

3. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Y
    You should not plant carrots they will take almost two years befor they are a good size

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Carrots should reach full size in 60 - 80 days, or you have some serious soil deficiencies, or they are over crowded, or perhaps too dry. The second year, they become woody and set seed.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. NanaKat

NanaKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I plant two crops of carrots; one in the early spring about March 1 and then again Aug 1 for a fall crop. I like Dantes and Imperator and then always try a new variety. The fall crop can be covered by hay and left in the ground to harvest thru the winter.
    You ruin a crop of carrots by not harvesting them when they are 1st year. As a bi-ennial, you only let them stay in the ground if you want seed from the plant.
    Adding compost to the soil, and covering the row of seed with a 1x4 helps get the seeds up in August when the temps are so hot.
    Carrots should be sown thinly so I mix the seed with sifted compost to get them spaced better.

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Welp! I just planted some Arugula with encouragement from a friend.This is a first for me! It says on the packet "cold crop". It's a good thing it is because we're going to be getting snow already tomorrow. [​IMG]I'm sure it's not bound to last but the thought is sort of sickening. Two days ago it was 80 and we were water skiing. Good Gravy. "If you don't like the weather in MN...wait 5 minutes!"

I pulled out the woody brown finished pea plants, trellising fence, etc... and weeded well the area for the Arugula. Let the chooks in with me tonight too. I love it when they are in there with me.They almost seem like they are having a blast--their own little fairy garden of sorts--exploring, finding goodies. Going down the Sweet corn rows seems to be their favorite thing to do. LOL. It's so much more fun in there weeding when they are with me. Next time I'll get that camera down there. The garden looks better when they are in there too. [​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yesterday I planted 2 flats of cold weather crops for my winter cold frames. (they should have been planted a month ago.) some cells were reserved for basil and parsley, which will be potted up and brought into the house for the winter.

8. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    I love it when the chooks are in the garden with me, too, especially a mama and her babies! My sweet corn did not have any corn worms this year. Woo Hoo!

1 person likes this.
  9. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

-7C this morning, no more gardening for me
    (Sob) :(

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh no hennible. My time is soon to be over too I'm afraid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by