BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Garden revamp project going on this week. I yanked out my perreniel garden- over grown strangled with weeds. And am restructuring it into a potager of sorts. Putting in chicken friendly and healthy perreniel flowers and herbs. With some ornamental grasses for cover. The chickens have been so curious and so excited for bugs worms or whatever I unearth. Gosh they make it so fun. And you can just tell they're excited to dig away in there! Here's a before and in "progress."
    [​IMG]

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

That's inspiring. I could get a few projects like that done before the ground freezes. Don't forget to post after pics.

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Oh thanks hennible! I will for sure. The plants will probably look whimpy and thin for my after pic this fall...but tonight I got a few things in and it's taking shape now. Waiting for some more discounting of plants at the nursery too.

4. hennible

Well it will look great come spring!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    So, please tell: what are you planting???????????????????????????? It looks very nice.

My chicken friendly plantings include: various mints, including lemon balm. Coreposis, oregano, lavendar, Russian sage, culinary sage, rosemary, comfrey, and a huge potted citronella, with 2 new cuttings which have recently taken root. The aromatic plants will be dried and used for nest box additives.

1 person likes this.
  6. hennible

Nest box additives? Please elaborate.

7. CherMoz

CherMoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    South Central Wisconsin
    I am going to have to make note of these plantings!!

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Mite deterrents. Also added bee balm. I had a mite invasion late last summer, saw a couple this spring, added some citronella to the nest boxes, and have not seen any signs since then. Bought some wormwood seeds last week. Have also heard that Tansy is an other good one. Dried citrus peel would also be a good additive. If adding dried plant material to the nest box, be sure to only use a little bit, and put it under the rest of the nest bedding. A lot of this stuff can be a bit strong, and in a poorly ventilated nest box, could cause some problems. I have asthma, so figure that if i don't use enough to bother me, it should be ok for the gals.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well this summer I discovered Lisa Steele and Fresh-Eggs-Daily (R). For those that don't follow her blog or her social media sites--do. The gardening and chickening together is fabulous to follow. Anyways Here's the plan: echinacea, bee balm, yarrow, mint, Russian sage, garlic bulbs, oregano, basil, thyme. ( those plants I currently have). The last few herbs may not take to our winters though and I envision a yearly replant for those. I want to pick up possibly another bright beautiful yarrow as I cheaply dug the ones I have out of MIL's yard and they are small and color of blossom is unknown. I'm a fan of ornamental grasses. And again being cheap I found myself squeezing in some of my old perennials that I just couldn't throw away.... Black holly hock, purple balloon flower and irises. They get one more year of care to perform and if they are sub par I'll get them outta there. Lol. I envision throwing my heirloom tomatoes in there. Maybe pole beans... To fill in some holes next spring. Hmmm I need to add onto this garden I think!

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I've also kept in place because it was doing well-- dianthus and sedum at the forefront of the garden-- . To keep a showy border at least. It's all so fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by