BYC gardening thread!!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Mar 7, 2013.

1. No

8 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. Yes

459 vote(s)
    96.0%
  3. Have in the past

11 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. LordStark

LordStark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia NSW
    Didn't get much gardening done over the weekend. Hope to take some time off and get it, among other things sorted before the long hot summer.
    Sadly my two jalepeno plants died from frost burn over the weekend. I'll replace them by the end of the week, but it's such a shame because they were
    going so well.

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

So your in the Southern Hemisphere? Do you have devils plant around, because if you do you can graft peppers and tomatoes to those and get a bigger more cold tolerant crop.

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Here is my thinned out Potager. I basically added more walking space and took away planting space. I was blown away by the amount of biomass (weeds & extra mint!) that got hauled away in the wheel barrow. This garden is purely experiemental for me and may be a flop. But I'm excited as to what it could all be as well. I planted garlic Saturday right before a torrential down pour (perfect timing) We have 10 days of 70-80 degree temps. I'm hoping these newly thinned plants will get a strong hold before old man winter really socks it to us.

For the garlic they recommend thatching with straw after it starts to sprout. I think the thatching of all the plants may not be a bad idea especially after the assault I gave all of them during the thinning and separating operation. I decided to throw out the holly hocks. Too little time in bloom and frankly, ugly stalks post bloom have made me rethink them. I was glad for the space as that's where the garlic cloves went.

[​IMG]

Oh and "yes" This is our Septic tank I have everything over to conceal the unsightly pipes and such. We can still access everything for Pumping and maintenance and such. But I'd much rather look at a stand of lush mint than white pvc pipes sticking out of the ground. [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  4. hennible

Plus the garden grows best there any how. ;)
    Looks pretty darn good.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Thank you Hennible. You'd think it would grow good there...but the tank is cement and the fertile stuff gets carried away to a drain field. I'll need to compost in here a bit as well.

I saw the day before last that my Arugula codyledons were peeking out of the dirt! Woot Woot!

6. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

this is my Garlic garden I am done planting it. 8 nice kinds can't wait till spring . 2 day event Looks like a pile of junk don't it .

7. hennible

Naaahh, looks like a pile of hay. :)

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    That's the best kind of garlic bed to have... for that matter, any garden bed should look like that! What are you ever going to do with all that garlic???

9. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Ward off vampires?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    We don't have any on this side of the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by