• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
caf.gif

I'm wanting to add herbs this year. I feel intimidated by them. Should I grow in a container or the ground or raised beds? Just looking at regular herbs. Nothing fancy. Just stuff I can use in the kitchen or in the duck pen. Anyone have any experience.

A bit, simple stuff parsley, summer savoury, oregano, basil, mint... Mint can take over so nice in pots and raised beds.
I don't have the best luck with seeds many are so tiny and that's what I blame... Lol
Most herbs seem to like heat, so I'd go pots and raised beds for many, but there's dill that does well in the garden bed, also soup celery, French tarragon and garlic.... Garlic if the chickens don't dig it all up.... Chives are easy they grow in my driveway :lol:

Herbs are often easier, and less fussy than garden veggies. A lot of them do well with dryer conditions. In fact, they usually have more oils in them if they are grown on the dry side. Parsley: If over wintered, it will go to seed the next year. You can have a never ending supply if you let it self sow. Same for dill, but it will set seed the first season. Garlic? Leave some of the scapes to mature, and they'll drop a pile of little bulbils, that will, in 2 years time, mature into impressive heads of garlic. Harvest what you need to get through the winter, and leave the rest to over winter: Those heads will continue to grow and multiply. I've pulled clumps of heads that are 8" across. Oregano: aggressive spreader. Mints: alien spawn spreaders that will send their underground rhizomes far and wide, seeking to dominate every square inch. Be careful, they'll grab you by the ankle and suck you right under ground. Chives, well behaved. Rosemary: Easy to propagate by layering. Sage: very winter hardy, will live about 3 years before needing to be renewed.

Anyone else overwinter turnips for seed . I use the first blossoms like broccoli and then let them set seed . Shogun will survive in zone 5 purple top usually dies . However small bulbs survive better .

You can overwinter carrots, turnips, parsnips and whatnot in dry sand and then replant in the spring where they're not hardy to get your own seeds... I tried but the cats peed in the bucket :(
I have gotten seed from biennial root crops in a single season in my greenhouse. Well beets, I think there biennial...

Back
Top Bottom