Should BYC Have It's Own, Easy To Use Genetic Calculator?

• Yes, great idea!

Votes: 192 86.9%
  • No, waste of time...

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Yes, and I can offer help!

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Yes, but with some adjustments to the original post...

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
Pics
Do you have any clue as to why pink would be the only color of an egg shell, visible on the inside of a shell, (from a normally blue egg layer line) or why if there are only supposed to be White or Blue shell color, with brown as a outer "paint", we could see in a bunch of medium brown eggs we cracked open today, the brown on the inside on the egg, where it should have been white?

I realize probably not. That's what I've been trying to figure out all day though. I'm thinking it might have to do with color suppressing genes(for the pink) but I have only come across one mention of that and aside from the abbreviation "pr" and that it affects this one affects the brown pigment I haven't seen anything else about it.
No idea. Want a fellow researcher?

I think part of the problem is that few people have the same definition of a "pink" egg. Also, I'm thinking that if a hen can eat things and make her yolk yellower, the brown inside (palisade?) may be a similar thing with the shells—not genetics as much as the material the hen has to work with.

No...Family tree- leg colors

Yellow × slate - Slate × yellow - slate
~~~~
another
yellow × slate- willow × yellow- yellow
~~~~
last one
yellow × slate- white × yellow - yellow
Oh yah. Forgot how to do gene crosses with all the meanings of genes swirling around in my brain.
It says that 23 have been found. There could be far fewer significant ones...

I happen to have chickens that have red and white earlobes. I don't think you're going to be able to do that one accurately. (Maybe make "leakage" notes?)
That would be great. We are using real pictures for color crosses too. People will be able to see leakage from the crosses too. I remember reading Kippenjungle a long time ago and not understanding why there would be leakage, because I didn't read the footnotes. I was easily confused and gullible because chicken genetics were new to me.
heh heh heh... yeah.

the langshan over barred rock hen crosses that were male and had feathers on their legs did have the barring in their feathers, but I didn't notice it on their legs... I might have to go look for pictures of them to be sure of that though.
A single barred cuckoo d'Anvers cockerel who has slate legs over a Dominique hen with yellow legs. It had black spots. Probably from the E/E gene right? The pullet resulting from it was yellow ish legged with spots.
I wanna call it the "leakage" note.
Sounds good.

I think part of the problem is that few people have the same definition of a "pink" egg. Also, I'm thinking that if a hen can eat things and make her yolk yellower, the brown inside (palisade?) may be a similar thing with the shells—not genetics as much as the material the hen has to work with.
ahhh..

I read them earlier today... palisade is the outer layer of shell the inner one millaray? or something it starts with an M.

My idea for pink color is quite a light color. the cuticle can also take on a pink color by mixing with the brown color.

If you really want to join me sure. :D though it might not be fair to steal you for my own purposes lol.

Hmm. My eggs were white inside. And they free range. Fresh eggs to three weeks old. Does it have anything to do with the opacity of the egg?

ahhh..

I read them earlier today... palisade is the outer layer of shell the inner one millaray? or something it starts with an M.

My idea for pink color is quite a light color. the cuticle can also take on a pink color by mixing with the brown color.

If you really want to join me sure. :D though it might not be fair to steal you for my own purposes lol.
Thanks for defining pink.

Steal me? From whom?

Not up for anything serious at eleven at night, but I'll see what I can find tomorrow! I'm going to go do lazy browsing now.

Hmm. My eggs were white inside. And they free range. Fresh eggs to three weeks old. Does it have anything to do with the opacity of the egg?
Well, if anyone has answers, I'm ready to hear them!

Do you think your hens eat a lot of bugs or a lot of grass? If my speculation is right, it might be relevant.

Opacity definitely seems to have something to do with egg inside color, though I can't say I've been looking.

Do you think your hens eat a lot of bugs or a lot of grass? If my speculation is right, it might be relevant.

Opacity definitely seems to have something to do with egg inside color, though I can't say I've been looking.
we all forgot to candle the eggs we cracked open before we opened them today. :D but the thought to check for a porous shell did cross my mind.

My hens have lots of grass areas, and dig lots of holes in the flower garden so I'm assuming anything in there is up for grabs. We have a few marigolds, but they don't look eaten. We have roosters if that matters. Some of the Ameraucana eggs look stressed, but we have had exceptional hatch rates from all of our birds. Plus the brown egg layers have decent eggs. Some calcium deposits. We feed calcium and grit as a supplement on the side of layer feed, but it is a mixed flock with chicks and ducks as well so unmedicated chick crumble as well. Nesting boxes, we clean the coop at least monthly. The hens that lay consistently are over a year old, and less than three years old Welsummers and Buckeyes, but I cracked a couple d'Anvers eggs too. The chickens sometimes get sunflower seeds, but not often. No access to the vegetable garden, but there is an herb garden that they can get at. The hens look contented, though the four adult roosters are rough on them. (ok, only the Ameraucana is rough.) Lots of breeds. The laying hens are very happy though.

Back
Top Bottom