BYC KNITTING CLUB

When I started knitting I made lots and lots of dish clothes, wash clothes, and hand towels. About half way through making the 80+ squares for a mitered afghan out of dish cloth yarn I realized I was watching tv and not the knitting. For me the muscle memory in my fingers is a big piece and also, if not more so, learning how to fix mistakes without 'frogging' the entire piece, (rip it, rip, it, rip it :) made knitting pleasurable. Before that it was an exercise in focus but not necessarily relaxing. Youtube has loads of knitting videos. Ravelry has tons of info also. As for the yarn gods, hmmm, what would be an appropriate peace offering? Lavender and cedar incense?
bow.gif

Hello all and Happy Holidays been knitting my fingers to the bones.. Finished a beautiful scarf, a hat for my husband made out of New Zealand oppusum wool(he said he wanted something different) and a cowl for my sons girlfriend. It's called a bandana cowl its on ravelry (purlbee.com).its primarilly short rows.thats something you can't watch TV and do, at least I can't. Going to make another one for myself. I'm going to start a baby blanket made out of different blocks sewn in rows. It's extremely nice.if I have time I'm going to put the 24 blocks together I have been working on for some time now. A "block of the month" project.
Also finished the linen stitch scarf. That I'm keeping. When it takes one hour to do one row, you get to keep it.. Happy knitting.

I can do lavendar.....if only it would work!

I tried again this weekend - my biggest problem is my tension. Also, when you are casting on stitches, when the pattern tells you to cast on 25 for example, when you are done, are there 25 or 26 loops on the needle? Does the slip knot count?

On a happier note, I found a LYS and spent too much $$$ on sock yarn this weekend. yay! Even if I never learn to knit, I can crochet :)

I also started a blog this weekend to try to document my progress. I figured it might be fun to look back through and see my progress :) I'm not the best at that, either, its sort of its own WIP :)

akdraft77.wordpress.com

I can do lavendar.....if only it would work!

I tried again this weekend - my biggest problem is my tension.  Also, when you are casting on stitches, when the pattern tells you to cast on 25 for example, when you are done, are there 25 or 26 loops on the needle?  Does the slip knot count?

On a happier note, I found a LYS and spent too much $$$ on sock yarn this weekend.  yay!  Even if I never learn to knit, I can crochet :)

I also started a blog this weekend to try to document my progress.  I figured it might be fun to look back through and see my progress :) I'm not the best at that, either, its sort of its own WIP :)

akdraft77.wordpress.com

The slip knot counts as your first stitch. So it is your first loop.
I'm proud of you for continuing to try.
Try prating by making a small swatch. It can eventually become a wash cloth. Do several rows of just knit, then just purl they ,knit 1 purl1 to get that transition. It will really help with your tension.

Thanks! That seems to be a not-so-tiny detail the book I have left out, and I couldnt find anything definate online either. I made lots of little swatches then ripped and did it again, same with casting on. Its so different from crochet that my fingers just dont want to cooperate yet.

It is getting a *little* easier though!

The other problem I have is in reading the pattern. Its not intuitive yet, so I need lots of coffee to get me through the session ;)

I can see how it will be nice to do when I finally get the hang of it!

I can't wait to post a finished piece

Well, this thread got buried. So what is everyone up too?

I learned a new knotting style Portuguese. It has made knitting even easier for me.

Right now I am working on a facecloth for hubby. Then it will be one more and on to a shawl.

Good to see this thread active again!

cybercat, Portuguese knitting??? Please, do tell more!

I had a little too much fun at someone's fiber barn last month, to the point the batt bags do not fit in my storage totes or the closests, (yes, plural) The only reasonable solution is to compress into a space efficient user friendly form = yarn. I have been spinning almost daily. In between spinning a couple of small simple cotton silk blend shawls have been knitted and almost finished with a scarf with a hand spun BLF/silk blend.

Back
Top Bottom