BYC parrot and parakeet club

I am keeping my fingers crossed to be adopting a bird this week. My heart is set on an umbrella cockatoo. But, we are going to go meet an amazon, a u2, and a couple sweet goffins.

And I am hoping I get chosen by the u2! (As I am a huge believer in the pet picks the person), but, I will settle for the bird that picks my daughter!

Any more parrot people?

kiki 1 yo male kakariki

How big is your birdie?

He yells/"screeches" because he is calling you ...his"flock" to come to him. . its a normal behavior and especially seen with Handfed birds.
you reward him when you pick him up. He needs to spend more time with you or with another bird in the room to keep him company.this is an over simplified answer but thats basically whats going on.

If you give him what he wants, he will never stop, in fact it will get worse.....you have to ignore him when he screeches. Or try going into another room, when he "flock calls" softly and calmly say "i am here" and when he stops screeching, go into the room and reward him with attention and praise.
As mentioned by another person "Flock Calls " are a normal part of his behavior, especially at sunrise and sunset, they will call out (in the natural habitat) so they will know where the flock members (family) are......that is what makes it hard for them to stop this behavior.....good luck and let us know how it goes?

Thank you for your help! It's hard though when my family gets annoyed and moves him to a different location, which makes it worse.

arghhhhhh...it will only get worse if you move his cage around, makes a parrot insecure......if I may suggest, that you educate your family on Parrot behaviors and needs? IF you are in Canada or USA I can phone you and we can talk about what could help? (I have unlimited calling through Canada & USA...... Have been working with our birds for 4monthes for newest and over 2 yrs for the bird we've had the longest, and today I had an important phone call and they ALL started to flock call, took 1 minute to get them all quieted so I could talk.....it can be done! (((hugs)))

Back
Top Bottom