BYC SEWING/QUILTING CLUB

I do not press my seams on the rag quilts. Something eles that will make the clipping job easier is to clip them before you sew the rows together.
When you dry your quilt besure and clean your lint filter ALOT. I wash mine 2 times before they are called finished
piecemaker

thanks... I have never made a rag quilt before and i used scraps from my fabric box.. so i hope it turns out well

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this thread for a little bit. Thought I'd share what I've insanely decided to take on.....

Hexagons!!

67093_dscn2007.jpg

I wanted to do a traditional quilt and hand piece and quilt it. In about 2 years, (or never...) it will be a grandmother's flower garden. I've never hand quilted anything, so I'm taking a class in December. I found some tutorials online, and the hexies are quite addictive, and surprisingly relaxing to work on. Keeps my hands busy while I'm seeing what BYC-ers are up to.

I am now like a little squirrel stock-piling scraps, and going through other people's stashes for fabrics I can use. The purple stripey is actually an old pair of pajama pants that I cut up.

So far I am loving hand work...we'll see how I feel about it in a few months.

Happy quilting everyone!

You and I are working on the same pattern. I made a grandmothers flower garden years ago but didn't paper piece it. It came out quite well. I saw a program on paper piecing and thought I'd try another one. I have about 40 flowers made but this time I am only doing one row around the center hex. I take my plastic tote with me wherever I have to sit and wait and took it with me on our trip to OK to work on it in the motels at night before bed. You're right, it's addicting and relaxing and your corners match up evenly when you put them together. I will make a queen size quilt and It will be 12 flowers acrocc by 15 down I think before I add the sashings. I have 8 across and 4 down so far already joined. I got antsy to see how it was going to look. Will have to take pictures and post.

Oh, I would love to see pics of your progress. I want mine to be a queen/king (big) , and I think I am going to end up doing 9x10 flowers? I'm going to have to find a LOT more fabric! Ha. One of my local quilt shops had a fat quarter sale every November and they're only $1. It's crazy. It's a teeny tiny place, and it is just packed. People leave with hundreds of fat quarters. I guess I'll be one of the crazies there this year stocking up!

Here is the flower garden quilt I'm working on and the other is another quilt I'm hand piecing.

30439_my_handpieced_quilts_in_progress-2010_001.jpg

30439_my_handpieced_quilts_in_progress-2010_002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
You have chosen a beautiful quilt pattern. It is one of my favorites of the old fashioned hand quilted beauties.
Are you making all the flowers in the purples? I ask because I noticed you are making your "path" in the garden between the flower blocks a pale lilac.
Blues and pinks would also blend nicely with the lilac.

Here is a quilt I made several years ago. I backed the quilt with the same green of the path.
23941_100_4012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom