Announcement BYC Updated - Post Questions, Concerns, Issues, & Praise Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
There's been a bit of talk about Ad-Blockers. A few thoughts / comments:

Keeping a site like this running and safe is a very time and money consuming task. Think about all the expenses / costs of developers, contractors, designers, servers, etc. etc. etc.

Ads are the way we keep this site going.

period

While we respect people's freedom to do what they want, we request that people either disable the ad-blockers on BYC or purchase / win a PFM.

Using BYC with ad-blockers puts more and more burden on us, especially as we compete with Facebook and other sites that will sell your information.

Personally, I don't ever use ad blocker on any sites I visit. I think it's wrong to use a free service and not allow the owners to receive compensation for their work and expenses.

One thing that (again personally) disappoints me is when people that use ad-blockers then complain and ask for changes. I find it rather rude.

Ad-blockers complicate things even more because they are often the cause for breaking functionality on a website.
I am not a techy kind of person, so honestly, I didn't know any of what you just said, and that is an excellent point. I would agree with you, now that I have your perspective.

I thought these ads were coming from search engines and not from BYC, since they are for shoes and clothing, and not necessarily chicken supplies. When I use Brave, or Firefox, I don't get the Google ads, or any targeted ads, actually no ads in the search engine. But I get them on various sites I visit as well as here. Someone would have to tell me how to block or not block ads for a specific site.

I also see your point that we really should upgrade to premium and compensate for all you have done here. It's only fair.

But, don't be mad at us. Some of us aren't from the techy generation.
:oops:

I thought these ads were coming from search engines and not from BYC

If we could fill our advertising with chicken-only products and services, we would! Going out and selling advertising direct to companies is a TREMENDOUS amount of work. I'm not sure how many people here like being door-to-door salesmen, or think it's a super lucrative / easy-success venture, but that's basically what selling advertising is like.

Then there is all the ad-setup, ad-management, billing/invoicing, etc. etc. etc.

So, while we try to work with some select companies directly, it's incredibly hard and time-consuming. So, we use a handful of "ad networks" and "ad marketplaces" that allow us to show ads from lots of companies, not just chicken related, and then we don't have to worry about the ad sales, management, invoicing, etc. etc. etc.

But, don't be mad at us. Some of us aren't from the techy generation.
You make an incredibly good point! I've been doing the internet thing so long that I forget to remember that not everyone understands how expensive it is to keep a very large site running, and don't know how the bills for doing so are paid.

If we could fill our advertising with chicken-only products and services, we would! Going out and selling advertising direct to companies is a TREMENDOUS amount of work. I'm not sure how many people here like being door-to-door salesmen, or think it's a super lucrative / easy-success venture, but that's basically what selling advertising is like.

Then there is all the ad-setup, ad-management, billing/invoicing, etc. etc. etc.

So, while we try to work with some select companies directly, it's incredibly hard and time-consuming. So, we use a handful of "ad networks" and "ad marketplaces" that allow us to show ads from lots of companies, not just chicken related, and then we don't have to worry about the ad sales, management, invoicing, etc. etc. etc.

You make an incredibly good point! I've been doing the internet thing so long that I forget to remember that not everyone understands how expensive it is to keep a very large site running, and don't know how the bills for doing so are paid.
That explains it. Thanks for responding to me!

ETA: And honestly, I had no idea how much work it was for you. I think the computers do all the work once you set up the site. I know. I really fought computers for a long time! I don't even want to change my old iPhone 6 out.

Craziest thing is my kindle was asleep at the time.

That explains it. Thanks for responding to me!

ETA: And honestly, I had no idea how much work it was for you. I think the computers do all the work once you set up the site. I know. I really fought computers for a long time! I don't even want to change my old iPhone 6 out.

I still have a flip phone. :oops:

Craziest thing is my kindle was asleep at the time.

I still have a flip phone. :oops:

They’re never truly asleep. Always listening.

And I have a smart phone but didn’t always have one and tbh I kinda wish I didn’t. I waste sooooo much time in it and it’s kinda ruined my life in a lot of ways. It’s great to be able to connect from people all over and I’ve made tons of friends but I’m on it like practically 24/7 :oops:

Starting to get a lot of health problems from it too. Wrist pain, neck and shoulder and back, vision, etc.

But obviously a lot of this is self control too, of which I have none :lau :oops:

But I’m working on using it a lot less.

But they’re definitely addictive!!

I know tons of other people even within the family with similar issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom