Cackle Hatchery vs. Meyer Hatchery | Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by hhouck514, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Meyer Hatchery

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Cackle Hatchery

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. hhouck514

hhouck514 In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2018
    OR
    Good Day,
    I am going to purchase 5 silkies in 2019. I am deciding between Meyer Hatchery and Cackle Hatchery. I was hoping you could tell me about your experience working with either or both of the said hatcheries. It would be especially helpful if you could show pictures of your silkies from one of those hatcheries. Thanks in advance!

2. Antcohan

Antcohan Songster

Mar 28, 2018
    Texas
    I haven't ordered from either but i've read good things from both and im thinking of ordering a few cochin from Meyer. I'll be watching to see what everyone else thinks

Compost King and Alexandra33 like this.
  3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

I'm also interested in people's input on this matter. :) Sadly, my Silkies are only from Townline (terrible quality overall), and Eagle Nest (nicely bred), but this much I do know: both Meyer and Cackle are wonderful hatcheries. I've ordered several times from Meyer, even picked up at the facility. Loved my first Cackle experience so much, I'm having 30+ OEGBs shipped in February. :love

Thinking you'll likely get a nicer quality (as in, somewhat closer to the SOP for a hatchery) product from Cackle, though. From what I've gathered, they put a little more effort into staying truer to the Standard. No, not perfection, but certainly a far cry better than others.

~Alex

4. Compost King

Compost King Songster

Apr 19, 2018
    North Carolina
    I was satisfied with the Golden Buffs I received from Meyers hatchery when they had a 50% off special on them. Chicks arrived on time with 2 extra and all survived until laying. Being a hybrid there was no issue with being true to the breed. They laid almost as well as the white leghorns I had, Equal to the the White Leghorns or possibly better in winter.

Bamabexchicks likes this.
  5. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    I don’t have silkies,but curious what your goals are? For show? Just bc you enjoy the Silkie in your yard? Are you considering breeders? A particular reason for only wanting those 2 hatcheries?

I did a quick search on BYC, for “silkie” in the breeder forum (this one), and the breed discussion forum. Here is a relatively recent one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkies.1282532/

But, there are others too.

Good luck

6. hhouck514

hhouck514 In the Brooder

Nov 4, 2018
    OR
    Thank you all for your advice.

7. Tony O.

Tony O. In the Brooder

White silkies not anything to crow about, but I've seem some show quality out of Cackles color silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: