• Yes

• Unsure

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
We had a bottle calf recently that we bought some more higher-quality feed for before we found out that the thing wouldn't eat pelletized feed of any kind. I've heard of people giving show chickens Horse Manna (I think I did, anyway. I can't find the source of the information now) and found this article of someone giving their chicken Calf Manna: https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2013/04/calf-manna-for-chickens.html?m=1
The feed I have is medicated, though. The ingredient is decoquinate, and is for coccidiosis.
Can I feed it to my chickens, and if so, how much? We've got a 20lb bag of this stuff.

Update:
I did find a post on here about how much to feed Calf Manna itself, so I guess the question now is whether I can feed the active ingredient to them safely.

Quote:

Calf-Manna is made by Manna Pro. Same thing.

I know Calf-Manna is made by Manna Pro BUT it is not the same thing...
Calf-Manna is a concentrated supplement that is used on all forms of livestock and not meant to be used a a sole sores of feed as in there Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird Feed,
Manna Pro Chick Starter or there Manna Pro Poultry Conditioner.....

Crude Protein Min 25.00 %
Lysine Min 1.4 %
Methionine Min 0.3 %
Crude Fat Min 3.0 %
Crude Fiber Min 3.0 %
Crude Fiber Max 6.00 %
Acid Detergent Fiber Max 10.0 %
Calcium Min 0.7 %
Calcium Max 1.2 %
Phosphorus Min 0.6 %
Salt Min 0.5 %
Salt Max 1.0 %
Sodium Min 0.2 %
Sodium Max 0.4 %
Copper Min 15 ppm
Copper Max 35 ppm
Selenium Min 0.1 ppm
Zinc Min 125 ppm
Vitamin A Min 20,000 IU/lb

Soybean meal, corn, hominy feed, feeding oatmeal, dried whey, dehydrated alfalfa meal, linseed meal, brewer’s dried yeast, vegetable oil, fenugreek seed, anise oil, calcium carbonate, monocalcium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, sulfur, iron oxide, ferrous carbonate, ferrous sulfate, copper oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin.

Dairy Calves
Up to 1 lb per day
Lactating Cows
1-1 1/2 lb per day
Beef Calves
10% of the creep ration
Show Cattle
1-2 lbs per day
Brood Cows
1 lb per day
Bulls
1 lb per day
Foals
1/2 lb per day
Growing Horses
1-1 1/2 lbs per day
Performance Horses
1-2 lbs per day
Broodmares & Stallions
1 1/2-2 lbs per day
Goats
1/4 - 1/2 lb per day
Baby Pigs
1/8-1/4 lb per day
Show Hogs
1/2 - 1 lb per day
Gestating Sows
1/8 - 1/4 lb per day
Lactating Sows
1/2 - 3/4 lb per day
Boars
1/4 - 1/2 lb per day
Rabbits (Growing)
1 teaspoon per day
Rabbits (Lactating)
1 tablespoon per day
Poultry
1 tablespoon per day or
5-10 % of the ration

Chris

If the birds are getting a good fresh balanced diet, there's no need to add 'other stuff'. I'd leave it out myself.
Mary
x2

Although us poultry people tend to dose down our medications from cattle medications, feed is an entirely different field. And medicated feed, at that.
Personally, I would not risk it. Simply because there are plenty of medications that can be used in mammals that would injure or kill a bird. Better safe than sorry.

Good to know. For future reference, what are the main benifits of feeding it?

There us an old saw about something being cheaper than chicken feed. Well chicken feed is in fact pretty cheap and Calf Manna is designed to supplement chicken feed or overcome the deficiency in commercial chicken feed. Calf Manna is not intended to be a treat or anything like that but rather one tablespoon of Calf Manna should replace the regular ration at a one to one ratio. Hog feed or pig chow is also a good amendment to chicken feed, in fact swine food can be used as a complete poultry food. The mineral, vitamin, and protein profile in swine food and Calf Manna is more complete that CHEEP, CHEEP, CHEEP chicken food.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/decoquinate
Decoquinate
Ethyl 6-(n-decycloxy)-7-ethoxy-4-hydroxyquinoline-3-carboxylate.

Decoquinate, used currently as an anticoccidial agent in cattle and formerly in poultry (before resistant Eimeria were rapidly selected, rendering efficacy insufficient), has recently been evaluated for a possible role in the management of a variety of protozoal infections, including hepatozoonosis.

Decoquinate is a potent inhibitor of mitochondrial respiration in susceptible protozoal species, acting at a site near cyctochrome b. However, alternative respiratory pathways appear to be selected rapidly, consistent with field experience of the early emergence of decoquinate-resistant Eimeria in poultry and experimental selection of resistant Toxoplasma. In poultry Eimeria, the species most studied, decoquinate has various effects according to the stage of the protozoal life-cycle, including a static effect on sporozoites, a lethal effect on schizonts and an inhibitory effect on oocyst sporulation.

Back
Top Bottom