CALI WHITES OR????

ZapChicken

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
I got 6 birds on 2/16/23 (now 4weeks) from Ruralking in PA. They use Hoover as the hatchery. These where labeled as Pullets, California white. The next bin over was Broilers. My Cali whites have No black spots to make it easy on me. I am just checking to make sure I didn't end up with Meat Birds that my kids will still make me keep.

My own research shows Cali whites can be all white with no black.
Also I think they might be plain white legghorns based on growth charts I found of white leghorns.

I can get more pics later
IMG_20230313_131914_01.jpg

They do not look like meat birds. Especially 4 week old meat birds.
I'd guess they could actually be california whites if they're Hoover's.
Hoover's is getting bad at having breeds that aren't quite looking like they should.
Could also be white leghorns. :confused:

They do not look like meat birds. Especially 4 week old meat birds.
I'd guess they could actually be california whites if they're Hoover's.
Hoover's is getting bad at having breeds that aren't quite looking like they should.
Could also be white leghorns. :confused:
thanks for the info!

Stupid question, how old are these babies? I ask because the breast on that one on the right looks huge for a leghorn. Send us some pics in a month, i am woried you got some broilers. Of course i am not trying to upset you, that is not my intent at all....
this is at 4 weeks old. i can take some better pictures when i get home tonight.

I am by no means an expert and there are folks here who are well versed with the leghorn but the leghorns and production whites I had before were not as well endowed as the one in your picture. Maybe I am just seeing it wrong. Hopefully someone will chime in and help me see the error of my ways. I wish you the best and the i am sure someone will correct me...

I just raised 23 Cornish Cross meat birds from Welp Hatchery. At 4 weeks they were twice the size of these. Don't know what you have, but those don't look like CX, the most common type of white meat bird. They look like normal size chickens to me. The one folks are thinking has a large breast looks to me like they just poofed up their feathers for a moment. They can double in size if they do that, but are not actually bigger.

Back
Top Bottom