California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't want you to think I will be upset if he goes to your friends [​IMG] What is important is that you are happy with your chickens [​IMG]

2. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    thanks thanks for this, i'll try moving her once the sun gets a little lower & everyone's settling down -- the main flock is out free-ranging right now (and i finally devised a chicken-wire fix to keep them off my deck, hurrah!), and doesn't seem at all interested in the newcomers, but they're deep down in that one nest box for now, so not really terribly noticeable, except for all the peeping! will try the trick with a towel later...

i can't wait to see how these chicks turn out, too! there's such a wide variety, between all the various eggs i got from everyone! (plus two of my own flock's CL/SFH crosses -- Max is a dad! although he doesn't seem to have noticed.)

3. lawatt

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    beautiful egg, Ron -- it looks a lot like the ones i got from my two Amelias -- except they started, laid about 4-5 eggs between them last week, and then there hasn't been another one since. can new layers stop and start like that, or are they perhaps hiding their eggs somewhere (with all the broody action taking up the usual/preferred nest boxes, it's hard to know where else to look!)

either way, hoping they either start up again, or stop hiding them -- they're such a gorgeous green!

4. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] We love all of our chickens [​IMG] It's gonna be hard to choose, but as sad as we are that our friends lost the Fonz, we are glad we found a GREAT home for one of our little men.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    I would not put hiding the egg past them!

It is normal for them to take a day or two off between sets of eggs. The eggs usually get bigger after each break. I hope the Amelias start laying big ones quickly like the Cream Legbars do.

6. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    looking good !
    congrats Meg !
    very sad but you know he was a good rooster ! he did his job
    nice egg Ron
    Candy they are super cute. Lavender ameraucana are so pretty
    they will !

7. lawatt

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    excellent, i will keep my eyes open. they're SUCH nice eggs!

re: the various broodies, i just walked down and took a good hard look at the coop, and have come to this conclusion: I'd like to just swap the one that's hatching her chicks, with the one who's in an exclusion pen (had been barging into others' nests earlier), who's been sitting on her nest there for about a week. that way the new mom & chicks would have a few days on their own, in view of everyone but without being bothered.

but two questions remain:
    1) if i move the broody in the pen back up into the usual nesting boxes (in the evening, once it's getting a bit dark), is she likely to stay there with her nest, or get confused?
    2) the next broody is "due" to hatch in about a week -- would i be able to move broody #1 and her chicks out of the exclusion pen at that point, and move the new hatching bunch in?

i realize i'm asking a lot of questions that might not have definite answers -- but if anyone has any ideas, i'm all ears! (eyes, actually)
    thanks!!!

8. Meg2000000

Meg2000000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Concord, CA
    Wow look at all the baby chicks!! Congrats to everyone! We are all going to have so much fun!

Ron - That is a GORGEOUS first egg! Congrats!!

Here's a picture of some of the little guys I took out of the incubator today. They wouldn't listen to me and get off the eggs so I had to do something! There are 13 in the brooder (not all are pictures) and there are 3 more drying out and 6 zipping. This is such an amazing experience!
    [​IMG]
    All tuckered out:
    [​IMG]

9. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    love the pitas. such a neat pattern

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    Moving broodies on eggs sometimes works, sometimes dosen't. can you put her in a box and wire it off for a few days so she can't leave( with food and water) ? 1 week of isolation is good for mamma and babies. they will still be small then, but they will be fast! It all depends on if your hens want to peck at babies or not, some do some don't. My non broodie hens don't spend much time in the coop, so its easy for me. but the incredible rotating broodie box sounds like a workable plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by