California - Northern

Moving broodies on eggs sometimes works, sometimes dosen't. can you put her in a box and wire it off for a few days so she can't leave( with food and water) ? 1 week of isolation is good for mamma and babies. they will still be small then, but they will be fast! It all depends on if your hens want to peck at babies or not, some do some don't. My non broodie hens don't spend much time in the coop, so its easy for me. but the incredible rotating broodie box sounds like a workable plan.
they don't seem inclined to peck so far, but they only just hatched today -- and i like the idea of keeping the broody & her kids in the exclusion pen (inside the run) for a week, my only concern is about moving the one who's already in there. but i suppose the only way to find out is to try! at least she'll be going back into the preferred nesting boxes, the ones she was barging into earlier.

OR, i suppose, the other option would be to buy a second exclusion pen tomorrow, and put broody #1 and her chicks into that one for now -- and just leave the one that's settled alone?

thanks for helping me work this out!

Help me understand? My bantam BLRW are blue/blue. So they are BBS...well...I got the mix chick. Now I have a pink skinned black chick. (this is really weird y'all) So are the blacks kicked off from the BBS BLRW - ALL black or black with lacing? I am clueless.
I think your question was probably already answered, but I needed to skip to the end.

BLRW (Blue Laced Red Wyandotte). So basically it's a red chicken with blue lacing along the edge of the feather. In chickens, blue does not breed true. Blue to blue (statistically) will produce 50% blue, 25% black & 25% splash. So the blue lacing will be replaced with black or splash half of the time.

It wouldn't produce a solid black chicken, so if someone feathers in black, you had a sneaker rooster.

Jason
How many generations do you think it will take for you to get double blue gene oe's?
I am hoping 3 generations before they are fully crele as in boys and girls. First cross should hopefully yield some crele looking pea combed hens that lay a green-olive egg.
hopefully that will darken with the 2nd cross but the crele are not as dark of layers as the other penedesenca

Quote: I think the broodie on the eggs in the box might get confused and try and go back to her box. Once the eggs are hatched and a week old I would say you could rotate the new broody in and the momma and chicks out.
Quote: Yes, I agree... but I like your other solution of getting another box setup for momma and chicks better. Having two broody cages sounds smart - especially if you already have multiple broodies...
I am setting so silver ameraucana this week.. Please work my dear incubator.
These are for my not so top secret olive egger project
fl.gif

Dear Jason's Incubator,

Please hatch these precious chicks. A whole generation of not-so-top-secret Olive Eggers are hanging on your caring and growing and eventual emergence of these chicks you will be hatching.

And when the chicks have hatched, grown up and you have worked your magic again and hatched out the F1 generation of chicks for this project maybe I can talk Jason out of the precious chicks you will be hatching now and actually have some Silver Ameraucanas...

So, Please Hatch Them Safely.

Thank you,

Dian....

I think the broodie on the eggs in the box might get confused and try and go back to her box. Once the eggs are hatched and a week old I would say you could rotate the new broody in and the momma and chicks out.
Yes, I agree... but I like your other solution of getting another box setup for momma and chicks better. Having two broody cages sounds smart - especially if you already have multiple broodies...
fl.gif

Dear Jason's Incubator,

Please hatch these precious chicks. A whole generation of not-so-top-secret Olive Eggers are hanging on your caring and growing and eventual emergence of these chicks you will be hatching.

And when the chicks have hatched, grown up and you have worked your magic again and hatched out the F1 generation of chicks for this project maybe I can talk Jason out of the precious chicks you will be hatching now and actually have some Silver Ameraucanas...

So, Please Hatch Them Safely.

Thank you,

Dian....
gig.gif
I will probably save a rooster just in case
hide.gif

Had to share. So sweet! My Cream Legbar Roo taking good care of my Serama's! Thanks debs_flock for amazing chicks! We love our new babies!!

Picture quality didn't turn out great but you can see the love still. :)

many MANY thanks to chiqita for talking me through the process of moving the new mama and her nest -- the nesting box she was in was way too deep for the babies to hop out, so i've set them up in a stand-alone wooden nesting box (with a much shorter lip) on the floor of the run, with chick crumbles and water, underneath an exclosure pen so no one else can bug them.

chiqita's suggestion of moving the whole nest by using a towel worked *perfectly*, despite my nervousness about dropping someone or an unhatched egg -- shifted the whole thing into the new spot. Eleanor got out of the nest initially to get something to eat and drink, and the two babies followed -- but once she slowed down, i shooed her back into the box onto her remaining eggs, and she's settled back down -- with the babies hopping in and out of the box like they've been doing it all along! so all seems well -- such a relief!

a few more bad photos, the light was getting very low:

Eleanor snacking with her two chicks

the SFH alongside mama

everyone settled back in the box.

drama over! now i can make some dinner & try to collect my wits again. in the move i didn't notice any pips on the other eggs, but hopefully tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom