California - Northern

ok, I've decided to try moving at least some of the chicks, all raised by broody moms (six have moms that have since moved on & returned to laying, five have moms who are still somewhat attentive), over to one of the new pens -- only trouble is, the chicks are all afraid of me. am hoping to wait til it gets dark & scoop them up while sleeping -- wish me luck! as i have no idea how else to corral them into the new space...

brief follow-up: i just checked the coop (it's just before sunset, everyone's up in the henhouse), and the two still-somewhat-attentive broodies (both SPPRs) are settled into two of the nesting boxes with their respective chicks (one has three 7-week-olds, one has two 3-week-olds), while the one 8-week old plus five 6-week olds are all snuggled together in a third nesting box. should i just move the ones without moms -- or wait & not move anyone yet?

So I want to offer him here before I put him on the exchange page here in Eldorado County.
so far 1 U of A blue egg layer is showing his roosterish self.
I am not breeding U of A's but want the hens for my layer / olive egger flock

so what I have is 1 young Splash U of A blue rooster.
hens of this breed lay blue eggs and far out lay most Ameraucana
Ron knows more about them
thumbsup.gif
Splash are very pretty!

Today was stand on Alicia day in the coop. I can stand on you but don't touch me day.

The is Eagle my Wheaten Ameraucana Roo, Anyone looking for a friendly beautiful Roo?
big_smile.png

This is a ratty DLBB..... he does not seem to be feathering in very fast. He still has a lot of fuzz and lots of bald spots. He is pretty much an ugly duckling. Perhaps his name will be Ugly.
lol.png

This is Cheeks. She is just starting to get her "cheeks" in. The Wheatens are so pretty. These are the guys I am having the toe curling issues with by they are so nice and calm.

I don't know what this one is. It may be one of Deann's OE projects. Maybe call him/her Spreckles.

Any Ideas? Boy? Orpington? All of these floofy bigger birds have thick legs.

If I was going just by leg size for determining sex I would think my two Welsummer pullets were boys. But I KNOW they are girls.

Quote: Hold off on the GQF Hygrometer for a bit - I bought one and it won't read the humidity - only the temperature and that is different than my Brinsea Spot Check so I think something is wonky with it. I contacted the seller - they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Quote: Best time to catch chickens is at night, always.

If they were mine - I would move the mommies that still are nesting with the chicks, and the other chicks. Just as long as the mommies don't have a problem with the older chicks.

Either that or you could move the older chicks now - and when the mommies stop letting the chicks sleep under them then you can move the rest of the bunch.

In any case I would leave the mom with the 3-week olds, I don't think those are feathered in enough yet - but you could separate the 7 week olds out if you wanted.

Every time I move anybody I have to watch the dynamics for a few days - make sure everybody settles in.

I did see a picture of a hen whose "babies" were still trying to sleep under her. She was standing on a roost and she had her wings spread out as far as they could go - and her 11 "chicks," who were bigger than she was, were trying to sleep under them.

Best time to catch chickens is at night, always.

If they were mine - I would move the mommies that still are nesting with the chicks, and the other chicks. Just as long as the mommies don't have a problem with the older chicks.

Either that or you could move the older chicks now - and when the mommies stop letting the chicks sleep under them then you can move the rest of the bunch.

In any case I would leave the mom with the 3-week olds, I don't think those are feathered in enough yet - but you could separate the 7 week olds out if you wanted.

Every time I move anybody I have to watch the dynamics for a few days - make sure everybody settles in.

I did see a picture of a hen whose "babies" were still trying to sleep under her. She was standing on a roost and she had her wings spread out as far as they could go - and her 11 "chicks," who were bigger than she was, were trying to sleep under them.

thanks -- i've decided to hold off until at least tomorrow, in part because i tried opening the nesting box just now, and all the without-mom babies freaked & scattered into the henhouse. i'll have to come up with some sort of plan... as the little ones are getting picked on more than seems necessary whenever they're not out free-ranging, and i don't want anyone to feel too crowded -- but also not sure how to deal with all the different ages & how to move them at all?

(admittedly, it's not pitch black out yet -- but if it was, i'm not sure *i'd* be able to see well enough to shut the coops properly etc! how do folks manage this aspect?)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom