California - Northern

Thanks for all the info/experiences. After talking with my husband I think we'll raise them ourselves. Don't wanna risk them getting hurt or killed. I'm so busy I don't really have time to watch her with them to see if it would work out or not. Thankfully I saved them once...

The good news is we are super excited about having them in the house with us. I thought I didn't want anymore inside but turns out I do! :)

Here are Ron's U of A cockerels.

At first, it doesn't want to load the photo, but I keep clicking the submit button and it works.
those Penedesenca boys are not to bad either
Thanks for all the info/experiences. After talking with my husband I think we'll raise them ourselves. Don't wanna risk them getting hurt or killed. I'm so busy I don't really have time to watch her with them to see if it would work out or not. Thankfully I saved them once...

The good news is we are super excited about having them in the house with us. I thought I didn't want anymore inside but turns out I do!
smile.png
I am glad its working out. I say take the other chick from the broody as well so they grow up together

happy fathers day! although my dad doesn't recognize it, complains about Hallmark holidays... but i'm thinking of him just the same.

and one bit of good news: managed to get the two SPPR sisters and their chicks moved into the empty pen! i caught the two SPPRs & put them in, then sprinkled a *liberal* helping of treats on the floor of the new pen -- and they called their babies in! so that worked -- now could either move the six chicks whose moms have stopped being broody in with the campines, or just leave them in the big coop for now and see how it goes. less crowded, at least, with two fewer hens plus five chicks!

Happy Fathers day as well. Take it easy Ron

I get to go feed and water everyone.
clean coops.
clean up dog pooh
weed eat more

oh plus go give some chicks away and rehome 3 roosters
Thank You Jason!
happy fathers day! although my dad doesn't recognize it, complains about Hallmark holidays... but i'm thinking of him just the same.

and one bit of good news: managed to get the two SPPR sisters and their chicks moved into the empty pen! i caught the two SPPRs & put them in, then sprinkled a *liberal* helping of treats on the floor of the new pen -- and they called their babies in! so that worked -- now could either move the six chicks whose moms have stopped being broody in with the campines, or just leave them in the big coop for now and see how it goes. less crowded, at least, with two fewer hens plus five chicks!
Good job getting them moved. They will be happy there too!

Good job getting them moved. They will be happy there too!

they seem happier already, since the rooster has been chasing both of the SPPRs lately, trying to get them back in the regular swing of things, and they're having none of it -- plus they've been kind of raising their chicks together anyway.

am thinking still of moving the other chicks in with the campines -- then those two won't be all by themselves, and i'll have two pens eating chick starter and one eating layer feed. hopefully a) i can get the other chicks moved tonight after dark (no active moms to use to lure them into the space), and b) the campines will get along with them! (they are a bit bigger and older, but there are 6 chicks and only two campines, and have been seeing each other through the wire for 10 days now, so hopefully they will all work it out)

Ok, I will post a picture!

These are from my Olive Egg laying pullets. The first, smaller ones are from Crele Pene x Cream Legbar. One of the looks very blue and the others are working on getting more green onto them.

Hi Ron,

Congrats on your first eggs. Do you know how old the pullets are? I have not kept very good records of when they start laying, so I would be interested to know how old yours are.

Hi Ron,

Congrats on your first eggs. Do you know how old the pullets are? I have not kept very good records of when they start laying, so I would be interested to know how old yours are.

They are 27 weeks old, but the first one started laying about 8 weeks ago or so, so they started at about 20 weeks. The Blue Barnie OE started laying last.

they seem happier already, since the rooster has been chasing both of the SPPRs lately, trying to get them back in the regular swing of things, and they're having none of it -- plus they've been kind of raising their chicks together anyway.

am thinking still of moving the other chicks in with the campines -- then those two won't be all by themselves, and i'll have two pens eating chick starter and one eating layer feed. hopefully a) i can get the other chicks moved tonight after dark (no active moms to use to lure them into the space), and b) the campines will get along with them! (they are a bit bigger and older, but there are 6 chicks and only two campines, and have been seeing each other through the wire for 10 days now, so hopefully they will all work it out)

and omigoshomigosh, an opportune moment came along when the laying flock was all inside their coop, having a snack, but the tribe of six chicks were all outside of it -- and so i closed the door! then opened the door to the campines' coop, left it open for a while... they tentatively ventured out, the tribe tentatively venture in -- and now they're all inside! i'm heading back down to keep an eye on everyone -- so far the campines chase the littler chicks a bit, but they are quick to get away, and there are six of them, so no one gets pestered for long -- and there's a LOT of space. fingers crossed that this works out without any major confrontations!

Back
Top Bottom