California - Northern

we were out there for an hour. I'm shocked we caught so many. Its possible the boys will wander back or one of these is a boy and I missed it.
Poor mario still has not gone into work it took quite a chunk of day!

we were out there for an hour. I'm shocked we caught so many. Its possible the boys will wander back or one of these is a boy and I missed it.
Poor mario still has not gone into work it took quite a chunk of day!
Sorry that that happened. If I was closer I would have come helped you track down quail. That just really sucks. Hopefully they will wander back when the start to get hungry.

After a moment of silence for the missing Quail and a quick prayer for their safe return, Lets look at some Pictures!

The Blue and Black Australorps from Hupp Farms are coming along nicely! I like their fluff and puck look...

Last edited:
After a moment of silence for the missing Quail and a quick prayer for their safe return, Lets look and some Pictures!

The Blue and Black Australorps from Hupp Farms are coming along nicely! I like their fluff and puck look...

Lolol..... you are in rare form today. Did you have your Wheaties this morning? So which of these are you going to give me? Actually which of the U of A's are you going to give me and which RIR? Hmmmmm?
lol.png

Pretty girls!! And boys!
Good pick me up!
Ali I should show you a picture of the ravine. If they are down there we ain't finding them!

After a moment of silence for the missing Quail and a quick prayer for their safe return, Lets look and some Pictures!

After a moment of silence for the missing Quail and a quick prayer for their safe return, Lets look at some Pictures!

Oh...I love the blues!

Shantih- hope your quail come home! At least a few of the boys. That sucks!

Lolol..... you are in rare form today. Did you have your Wheaties this morning? So which of these are you going to give me? Actually which of the U of A's are you going to give me and which RIR? Hmmmmm?
lol.png
:lau You can see why I have the Spirit Badge.... I have breeding stock for all of those breeds. The Blue Egg Layers will be going into a pen with the Crele Penedesencas to make Olive Eggers and Dark egg layers. White Bresse will be next and then the Australorps and HRIRs. I will have some Fertile eggs after the Breeding Programs. I may be able to get some Basque eggs now while they are idling.

For those of you that like numbers.....I just did the math because...... well just because....I don't know why.

My first hatch in April ended up with these numbers:

Started with 45 Eggs (15 shipped, 30 purchased locally)
7 Clears left me with 38 eggs
of the 38, 26 hatched (only 4 of those 15 shipped eggs hatched)
Left me with 12 eggs that did develop but didn't make it to the finish line. Of the locally purchased 30 eggs, only 6 didn't hatch, one or two of those had been clears.)

Of the 26 that hatched there were no real health issues and they all made it. 13 were girls and 13 were boys. (unless of course a boy pops up in the next month or so)

Pretty standard hatch. I set 45 eggs expecting somewhere between 10-12 hens at the end of the day. As of today I have 13.

Funny enough I had 3 Orpington eggs from Deann (juststruttin) and there was some concern that her hens were only throwing the rooster gene. All three of the Orp eggs I had hatched and they all seem to be girls. 2 blacks and 1 blue.
clap.gif

I would let the older girls go in first and keep their territory so the little ones can learn their space and who's boss. I think the older girls will feel more threatened if they come in last and have to try to defend their territory.

I'm integrating my baby Polish and it isn't going all that smoothly. One was dead for no apparent reason the second night although I never saw anyone picking on them beyond  moving them out of their space, and then this morning the one with a crest so big the poor thing can't see a thing (the largest crest I've ever seen on this young of a chick) was pecked on her neck. I have her in the house now and she's perking up a bit. Man birds are territorial.

Good luck with your integration.

Thank you. I will give that a try tonight. I have 2 dominant girls so will have to watch them with the younger ones. Will let you know.

So I am not a math wizard and I am trying to figure out how many you started with to get a 40% survival rate and two birds?

Only 2 out of 5 chicks survived. 2/5 = 40/100

I wanted 4 bantams (I don't have very much space), but minimum order was 5 bantams.

Although now I have 6, because they replaced the order and out of the second order 4 out of 5 survived. 4/5 = 80/100

2 + 4 = 6! Once they all grow up, I will see if they have enough space.

Back
Top Bottom