California - Northern

Quote:
agreed. I was just walking into the run the other day and one of my ameracaunas spooked and run full spring into the chicken wire and her whole body squished down on her head and neck. I thought for sure she broke her neck. She was stunned for about 5 minutes then seems to be no worse for the wear but when they get spooked by random things there's no stopping them. Sorry about your daughters chicken, not your fault. :)

I missed that laura!! Huzzah for a safe house.
And Ali when the quail screw around with the neck and head area about 1/2 get better. You do what you can and let them go if they are in too much pain. But those birds are super fragile and brain problems happen.

to celebrate the house not being burned down, i will now bombard you all with baby chicks photos -- the latest updates! first, the SFH x various hens' mutts, all two weeks old:

one of the SFH mutts, probably crossed with basque

also probably a basque x SFH cross, having a good stretch

not sure which hen this one might have come from... perhaps time will tell?

daisy jr. (australorp x SFH), looking more grey/blue than black now

and the three silver campines, 6 weeks, all boys -- since i already had two pullets, i'm pleased to have several to choose from!

this guy is being raised alone by his cuckoo marans broody mama -- seems to be the largest of the three

the other two, being raised by Jane the light sussex broody

and a couple of bad photos of the 1-week-old marans, they are either birchen, duckwing, or a cross of those two:

finally, not a chick, but my gopher-catcher supreme, Henry:

Last edited:
Because who doesn't love seeing a photo of a day old chick?

Lakenvelder from debs_flock

I love your photo! Those installations enthrall me. I am the behind the scenes/support and vicariously attend. The debriefings from DH and DS (no doubt sanitized for me) are a hoot. This is father-son bonding time and I don't mind my role. I had Lasik 10 years ago and am now experiencing significant dry eyes issues. No doubt getting older isn't helping. Anyhow, I think I'd probably find playa dust my downfall. ( As it is on bad days I want to scratch my eyes out). Do you go with a group? DH and DS meet up with friends and camp adjacent so built in support system. I did get a taste of the creativity at the Maker Faire in San Mateo earlier this year. We also caught last year's Art Car exhibit at the big auto museum in Reno.

Yeah, playa dust is bad for the eyes, and the hands, and the feet, and pretty much everything else.
I have gone with friends as part of a village, been part of a small group doing an art installation, hosted our own theme camp, gone alone, taken my mom, tagged along with my parents, and returned alone knowing many throughout the city.

Maker Faire is a great substitute, without the dust!

to celebrate the house not being burned down, i will now bombard you all with baby chicks photos -- the latest updates! first, the SFH x various hens' mutts, all two weeks old: one of the SFH mutts, probably crossed with basque also probably a basque x SFH cross, having a good stretch not sure which hen this one might have come from... perhaps time will tell? daisy jr. (australorp x SFH), looking more grey/blue than black now and the three silver campines, 6 weeks, all boys -- since i already had two pullets, i'm pleased to have several to choose from! this guy is being raised alone by his cuckoo marans broody mama -- seems to be the largest of the three the other two, being raised by Jane the light sussex broody and a couple of bad photos of the 1-week-old marans, they are either birchen, duckwing, or a cross of those two: finally, not a chick, but my gopher-catcher supreme, Henry:
I just love them all!

From Facebook: Has anyone in Auburn lost a dog this morning? He has been hit by a car and is in need of medical attention asap.

Jim Stewart After searching for over 4 hours we were not successful in finding the owners. We decided it was in his best interest to take him to Loomis Basin Vet Clinic to get treatment. They seem great. Please keep his photo going and we hope to find the owner. We were told he would be sent to Placer County Animal Shelter in a week or so and treatment of his leg would depend on what animal control said to do.

Back
Top Bottom