California - Northern

Sorry for your loss Launi. Sounds like Egg Peritonitis developed too. There were most likely other smaller eggs inside her still causing an infection. I had one of my (none English Orp) hens with that problem. I gave her Fishmox (amoxicilian) for the infection daily for 7 days, and because her belly was swollen too, I drained her with a needle and syringe. Worked well. She no longer Waddled like a duck. Also because of the soft shells and small dose of the liquid calcium every other day helps. I purchased mine at a bird store. And of course a feeder with oyster shell. I too, microwave for a couple minutes, their own shells then blend or crush them and mix with their food or goodies/treats.

***Please note, though I've well versed on certain procedures and am speaking from hands-on experience and life skills. I'm not a Vet nor claim to be*** ALWAYS consult your Vet if the option presents itself.***
yippiechickie.gif

Thankyou. I agree. Unfortunately, today is 104. My birds are all free ranging during the day and I've lots of water out in shaded areas, and if I'm around in the afternoon, they get another round of cold water. Unfortuntely, the young n dumb ones get to running around like teenagers and forget to get water, by that time it's too late and they just kill over. Though, I've caught acouple just before that time and put them in a shallow tray of cold water in the shade and in about half hour they've perked up. I'm individually grabbing my English Orps and soaking their bellies, they don't initially like it until I release them. Then they realize what the purpose was. lol

We are in a cool bubble here. Hotter up the top of the hill And lowlands.

We have been the hottest place all year. Im thinking cool thoughts for you all and your babies!

Today has been super fun. Woke this morning to 3 hatched (SFH, CLB boy & a bantam). We took our daughter to the Sac Zoo for her 3rd birthday (tomorrow) and got home to 4 more fuzzy (2 CLB & 2 bantam). Now have the 1st BCM and a second almost zipped. And, while cracking eggs for cupcakes I discovered that my 16 week BCM cockerel is fertile and very active - today's eggs from all 3 of my mature girls are all fertile.

(ETA fixed )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom