California - Northern

Sorry to hear about the loss Laura. Davis will at least put your mind at ease.

I agree about the heat everyone. Today's paper has a headline of "Hottest July ever.". I'm looking forward to the mist from the pressure washer tomorrow while cleaning the poultry barn.

Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad yours are doing better. The loss of neck control saound very dire
Quote: 106 here today. That is about 7 degrees hotter than was forecast last night. My birds seem to be taking it well. I did wet everything down this afternoon.

cruddy pic but you can see them
They are adorable! Congratulations. I am so happy for you....
clap.gif

Great, it finally cooled down...
Wow.......

Today has been super fun. Woke this morning to 3 hatched (SFH, CLB boy & a bantam). We took our daughter to the Sac Zoo for her 3rd birthday (tomorrow) and got home to 4 more fuzzy (2 CLB & 2 bantam). Now have the 1st BCM and a second almost zipped. And, while cracking eggs for cupcakes I discovered that my 16 week BCM cockerel is fertile and very active - today's eggs from all 3 of my mature girls are all fertile.

(ETA fixed )
What a great day for you! I am jealous....

Quote: Thanks you Kathy. Are there any special tests I should ask them to run? Should I put down that Marek's is suspected?

If anyone is interested in winning a free photoshoot from me, check out the link below. I'm doing this to help get more attention to our rescue. Even if you live out of range I'd love if you'd give the page a "like".
https://www.facebook.com/ShineOnCA/...244/1580793575481527/?type=1&relevant_count=1

On another note, I am dogsitting a puppy this weekend(and next) and she's actually a bit nervous around the chickens! She was curious until I picked up Charlotte, my big Light Brahma, who jumped out of my arms and nearly landed on the pup. Now she keeps her distance! Brody, my foster dog, is still doing great with the chickens.
I'm having a hard time selling my remaining Easter Eggers and TJ's chicks. Any advice? They're 4 weeks old right now. I want to sell them before they become sexable in the next week or two.

Does anyone have mister systems for your chickens?

I do. When I can't be there to cool the chickens, I send Mister SpringPeeper out.
wink.png

If anyone is interested in winning a free photoshoot from me, check out the link below. I'm doing this to help get more attention to our rescue. Even if you live out of range I'd love if you'd give the page a "like".
https://www.facebook.com/ShineOnCA/...244/1580793575481527/?type=1&relevant_count=1

On another note, I am dogsitting a puppy this weekend(and next) and she's actually a bit nervous around the chickens! She was curious until I picked up Charlotte, my big Light Brahma, who jumped out of my arms and nearly landed on the pup. Now she keeps her distance! Brody, my foster dog, is still doing great with the chickens.
I'm having a hard time selling my remaining Easter Eggers and TJ's chicks. Any advice? They're 4 weeks old right now. I want to sell them before they become sexable in the next week or two.
My mother takes ones she wants to offload down to farmer's markets, Saturday morning markets, swap meets, the Mennonite fairs, etc. She just walks around with them in a basket and says people pretty much invariably offer to buy or trade. I'd be a little worried about people buying them on an impulse and not being able to care for them properly, so you might want to have some questions prepared to ask to make sure they know their stuff. She does it in Glenn and Butte Co. mostly, but I'd imagine there are opportunities in Shasta Co. as well.

I had an eventful chicken day yesterday.

I have a friend who has a bunch of hatchery Cuckoo Marans and Dokings and some Dorkings he bought from Dick Horstman. He found out about my little sex link operation and wanted in on the action so I took him my sweet hatchery NH roo then picked up a beautiful NH cock bird from @lualshannon yesterday afternoon. New guy is hanging in the feed shed eating, drinking, roosting and crowing like he ought to be.

I will post pics later...he is amazing looking. Lual is selling me a couple of pullets later on. So exciting to be able to add these to my flock!

Back
Top Bottom