California - Northern

Ok, here is my Jubilee Pullet. She is 100% fancy chick. I would like to say thank you to @TheKeeper for my other 2 girls. They are so sweet too! It was nice meeting you Lisa, and visiting with you and Shantih. I don't have pics of those girls yet. Taking chicken pictures is harder than one may think :D
Pretty girl and great picture! -Kathy

Last edited:
Question for you Kathy, is there a difference between ocular Marek's and leukosis?

Don't quote me on this, lol, but I just saw something the other day that said birds with leukosis will not have the ocular involvement, or maybe it was the skin tumors? Need to see if I can find that again. Found it by searching for Marek's differential diagnosis... Sure wish I had bookmarked it!

-Kathy

I was asking because a couple of years ago our judge noted green eye color on a Wellie that one of the kids brought in.
Now the pale eye color on the chicks I raise always freaks me out a little. I cheer the day I see their bay color starts to appear.

Last edited:
I had an avian pathologist look at the pictures and that's what he thought. Did you also see the necropsy pictures? They were his.

-Kathy

The necropsy photos were quite interesting. Thank you. Poor bird. When researching potential problems, I always hated that phrase " .......on necropsy it was found ..." i'm sorry if this is an oft repeated question but does an MDV vaccination totally stop the tumors, reduce the level or does it vary from bird to bird with no rhymr or reason? IMO, I have say a vaccination would be worth it to save a bird from having to live with tumors like that. An MDV resistant flock of course would be best but , oh, poor bird.

Daughter just messaged me its my first 3 egg day. 3/4 squat so good news. 23 weeks this week so good early layers. The only one not laying is the one which seemed to be my best bird when it comes to SOP. Very happy with Privets Delawares and their Buff orps as far as back yard flocks go.

The necropsy photos were quite interesting. Thank you. Poor bird. When researching potential problems, I always hated that phrase " .......on necropsy it was found ..." i'm sorry if this is an oft repeated question but does an MDV vaccination totally stop the tumors, reduce the level or does it vary from bird to bird with no rhymr or reason? IMO, I have say a vaccination would be worth it to save a bird from having to live with tumors like that. An MDV resistant flock of course would be best but , oh, poor bird.

The vaccine reduces the cancer death by 3 to 5%. It does not stop the initial infection.

10 to 15% of chickens that have Mareks initial infection(Herpes virus) will develop and die of cancer at about two years old.

We cannot stop this from happening. If you own chickens, some will die of Mareks Cancer.

For those interested in learning more about Marek's, BYC's Nambroth has done a lot of research and has written this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

She (Nambroth) and Seminolewind are a couple of people that have had more than their fair share of Marek's birds, and because of that, I have found both of them to be very good resources. :D

-Kathy

I had an avian pathologist look at the pictures and that's what he thought. Did you also see the necropsy pictures? They were his.

-Kathy

He had a very good life while alive, so I feel pretty good about that. What I found interesting was that when I did a cloacal exam on him I could actually feel some of the tumors, so I was not surprised by what I saw when I opened him.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom