California - Northern

Quote:
She was concerned about the safety of her other animals because the dog was raw fed.
Those are very common misconceptions about raw feeding.
Most vets are great, but they aren't educated in nutrition. In their many years of schooling, they receive on average just a few hours of education on nutrition, and this is often by the big brand dog food companies. My vet advocates for raw feeding, and my previous vet said, "keep doing whatever you're doing because she's in perfect health and has perfect teeth"
The bacteria is not at all a concern when feeding raw, because dogs have extremely strong stomach acid. Dogs are carnivores, as anyone who, like me, has spent years studying their digestive system can tell you. They have no need for fruits and vegetables, in fact feeding these put strain on the dogs digestive system. Carnivores are meant to eat meat - what do people think they were eating before kibble came around? The only thing you need to worry about in raw meat are parasites in wild game. The solution to that is simple - freeze for a month or two before feeding. The only meat that I know dogs shouldn't eat is other carnivores, bears, and raccoons. You also shouldn't give weight-bearing bones from any animal turkey-size or larger, as those can splinter or break teeth. And obviously they shouldn't be given other very large, dense bones. All other bones are completely safe to feed, the idea that they splinter is true, BUT only when the bones are COOKED. Raw bones are safe. Raw feeding is completely safe and the best thing you can do for your dogs health.
smile.png
Most people don't know that the kibble they feed their dogs causes cancer.
sad.png

Not to mention the meat that goes into most kibbles, comes from large processing plants where anything not fit for human consumption is thrown into a "dog food" bin and shipped off to dog food companies. Bruised meat, tumors, along with 4D meat(down, dead, dying and diseased if I'm remembering correctly) not fit for human consumption.
Check out this link;
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/kibble-never-a-good-option/

I will never go back to kibble or processed foods for my dogs.

I don't understand what is happening!!! Today was great until I went to refill my chicks water, they were screaming at me because I didn't have time to refill it before I went to school this morning. They had to wait an extra 2 hours. *rolls eyes*

Went to check on them...a chocolate orp and a lavender orp were dead. That is now FOUR chicks that I have lost. Oddly enough it's all the younger chicks - none of my older chicks that I hatched about 2 weeks ago have died, except for the one that had unabsorbed yolk at hatch.

I don't understand what is happening!!! Today was great until I went to refill my chicks water, they were screaming at me because I didn't have time to refill it before I went to school this morning. They had to wait an extra 2 hours. *rolls eyes*

Went to check on them...a chocolate orp and a lavender orp were dead. That is now FOUR chicks that I have lost. Oddly enough it's all the younger chicks - none of my older chicks that I hatched about 2 weeks ago have died, except for the one that had unabsorbed yolk at hatch.
Send them to UCD. It is important to figure out what is going on.

Are they too hot? Excessive heat will kill them quickly.

I don't know if I have the money - I still haven't paid off Carolina's shipping fee. I have money in my bank account that's not mine so I won't know until the end of the month how much money I have
It would be nice if you were closer to a lab. Redding could use one for distance issues in California.

happy chooks makes a good point. they do overheat easily at that age.

hugs.gif
I am sorry you are losing them!

Thanks guys.

I am thinking I need to keep an "emergency" fund simply for necropsy shipping fees. For a year and a half I never had problems with chickens, I only lost ONE chick, and that was from a batch of 15 shipped to me! It was a Splash Andalusian and in 1.5 years was the only bird I lost. I never thought I'd need an emergency fund for several reasons...One, I don't pay for my dog's expenses. My parents pay for my dog because they know I am unable to get a job. They are the ones who would pay emergency fees - which, thankfully, we've never had. At least, not for my dog. Two - I don't take chickens to the vet. Emergency or not, it gets treated at home. Only thing I've taken a chicken to the vet for was getting blood drawn for the Mycoplasma Gallisepticum test.
The only time I've had a chicken "emergency" before was when I suspected they had MG, and had to go out and buy them Tylan injections.

I usually have money to spare but not right now. Seems like everything that could go wrong has been going wrong lately, so maybe I need to set up a fund for paying off necropsy shipping fees.
sad.png

I'm not sure if it would be heat or not - if they were too hot wouldn't the older ones likely be having the most issues since they have a significantly higher number of feathers? And wouldn't they be panting?

Had to take my mom's cat to the vet today. I have battle wounds to show for it.
This cat turns into an absolute DEVIL at the vet. The vet's resident kitty decided to come up to Beau's carrier to say hi, and Beau FLIPPED. Growling, hissing, etc.
Eventually, the vet, vet tech and I gave up trying to examine him and we decided to sedate him. I am sure the other clients waiting in the waiting room were probably a bit put off by the fact that there was a cat SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER in the exam room. You would think we were skinning him or something...all we were doing was holding him still.
I tried to hold him still so that we could give him a sedation shot. I grabbed him by the scruff and held him by it, because that's the safest way to grab an insane cat that's on an attack spree. He turned in his skin and latched onto my arm, despite the fact that he was dangling in the air by nothing but his scruff...that takes serious skill. I have a bright red scratch running all the way down my arm, and about 10 puncture wounds that were bleeding while I sat there waiting for the sedation shot to kick in. To actually get him sedated, they had to get an old towel and I threw it over him then grabbed him and wrapped it around him. He wiggled out of it and sat on the ground staring at us like, "go ahead, try again, see what will happen". I finally managed to throw the towel over him and quite literally sit on him so that the vet could give him a sedation shot. I think the vet and vet tech were more than happy to let me handle him.
By the time he was sedated he was so out of it that when you picked him up he was completely limp, wouldn't move. But he still found it in him to growl and kick the vet with his back legs when she tried to examine his injured shoulder. He's a nut job!
roll.png
Makes for good stories though.

Back
Top Bottom