California - Northern

Quote:
I do love the full frame sensor!! I am somewhat interested in taking a photography class at the college, but only somewhat. I like being self taught, I always question people teaching me an art thinking "is this science-based or just your opinion? Where is the evidence?!" I like being able to go online and compare the information between several credible sources. And I also don't know if I'll ever have room in my schedule for it. I will be taking American Sign Language until I'm fluent, which will be the full 2 years that I'm in Jr College. Maybe after I hit ASL 3, when it changes from 2 separate classes to one all-inclusive class I will have time for it. I don't know...not something I'm going to worry about though because I don't mind being self taught, and don't know if I'd enjoy a photography class. In a class it becomes more than just fun, it becomes work, and I don't think I want that.

Well we started on our new coop! Here's the base. It's 6 ft x 6ft 3in. It's gonna be a biggun. The original Bed & Breakfast is only 4 foot square. It's bigger than it looks in the pic because my "headless" hubby is 6ft 8in tall. The legs are 3 feet tall.

Here's my other project. A redwood and gas pipe coffee table. I decided that as I am in dire need of a coffee table (no living room furniture right now, anyone have a nice couch they don't want?) and refuse to pay top dollar for particle board crapola. The rustic industrial-ness suits us as our home is a "barn" shop with a 1 bedroom over it.

Very nice
big_smile.png
Can't wait to see the progress on it! Keep us updated!!

I do love the full frame sensor!! I am somewhat interested in taking a photography class at the college, but only somewhat. I like being self taught, I always question people teaching me an art thinking "is this science-based or just your opinion? Where is the evidence?!" I like being able to go online and compare the information between several credible sources. And I also don't know if I'll ever have room in my schedule for it. I will be taking American Sign Language until I'm fluent, which will be the full 2 years that I'm in Jr College. Maybe after I hit ASL 3, when it changes from 2 separate classes to one all-inclusive class I will have time for it. I don't know...not something I'm going to worry about though because I don't mind being self taught, and don't know if I'd enjoy a photography class. In a class it becomes more than just fun, it becomes work, and I don't think I want that.

I love all these beautiful photos that showing up in this thread. I need to get a lens for my camera so I can take nice photos of my animals again.

Also whoever is looking for furniture you might want to try freecycle.

Oh boy, that sounds painful! I'm so glad I've never broken a big bone!!
As for the boarder - I can't find the picture now but she was definitely concerned about the raw fed dog being vicious! Trust me, she wasn't a sane person that was just misinformed, the email she sent this raw feeder was extremely rude and unprofessional, if someone talked to me the way that woman did I would have a hard time not slapping them! And, get this: she wasn't just feeding kibbles, she was feeding a kibble to her dogs that is rated as ONE out of FIVE stars.
gig.gif

Oh, I forgot about wild fish also needing to be frozen. Also, farmed fish should not be fed because of the conditions it's raised in that makes it an unhealthy choice for the dogs. I'm sure there's others that I'm forgetting that I will only remember when the situation arises(such as the fish thing, I know not to feed fish unless it's been frozen first, but my brain simply wasn't recalling it)
As for Trichinella, in a 5 year period (2002-2007) there were only 10 reported outbreak cases of Trichinella in California. In dogs, Trichinella is a very mild problem(not saying we shouldn't be careful or care - if we didn't, we wouldn't freeze certain meats before feeding
smile.png
) It is often asymptomatic in dogs and only accidentally diagnosed when extensive blood work is being done for other reasons, and is treated with a dewormer that takes care of roundworm.
It is estimated that Trichinella is eradicated in commercially raised pork...at most, .013% of commercially raised pork is infected with Trichinella.
As for the AVMA, the author of their article on raw feeding ("don't do it, your dog could get Salmonella or other diseases!") is sadly very misinformed on how the dogs digestive system works, considering the fact that they consider salmonella a threat to healthy dogs. I agree that the AVMA's stance on something should not just be blindly dismissed, but it also shouldn't be taken as Law. Dog's saliva contains lysozyme, an antibacterial enzyme that destroys harmful bacteria. Dogs have extremely strong stomach acid that renders most bacteria harmless.
In fact, many sick dogs are greatly benefited by being switched to raw. Immune-compromised dogs owners should talk with a vet well informed on raw feeding AND the dogs specific issue when considering it. Nearly every single day I read "My dog was so sick and raw feeding made him healthy again" stories in the raw feeding groups that I'm in. Once in a rare while, I see "help, I did something wrong and now my dog has diarrhea". I can't remember the last time I saw a post where someone did something so wrong that the dog had to be taken to the vet. You really have to try hard to mess up to make that happen. Pretty much every instance of a dog having issues on raw is due to their owners not researching thoroughly and doing something wrong. It's not like Kibble where you just choose one and scoop it in a bowl. You have to actually put some thought into feeding raw.
And did you know that even kibble-fed dogs shed salmonella in their feces? A raw fed dog is no more of a risk to the elderly, young, or immune-compromised than a kibble-fed dog. Common sense will avoid all problems - don't let the dog lick you after it's eaten, and don't pick up it's poop with bare hands...lol! If you prepare meat for yourself or your family in a household with elderly, young, or immune-compromised you are just as likely to be passing on bacteria to them. Again, common sense - wash your hands well and thoroughly clean the area and items that you used to prepare the raw meat for cooking.
From someone on my raw feeding group, responding to the AVMA's article on raw feeding: "The brunt of the article was about pathogens in the meat. With the majority of it centering on human illnesses as a result. It completely neglected the numerous recalls for kibble for those same pathogens.
Except for one source which cites TWO cats [which are obligate carnivores] getting salmonella, all the other sources appear to be about human illnesses.
So, in response to the AVMA-wash your hands after handling raw meat-just like mom taught us years ago.

Oh-and be especially careful with kibble, which has a proven issue with various pathogens. "
I've cared for some very sick dogs, and not a single one of them have been negatively affected by my feeding raw to Nelly. Nobody that's come into my house - people of all ages, from little babies to my very fragile grandpa who is in very bad shape and most likely only has a couple years left - have been negatively affected by my feeding raw to Nelly. And, my grandpa loves to pet Nelly and comes over frequently. Never had an issue. The only person I would be legitimately concerned about is someone who can't even be in a house where raw meat is prepared.

As for my baby chickies...got them in the fridge, going to send them in. I hope we get some answers, I've never had chicks die on me like this. I don't know what it could be especially because they show no signs of illness before dying, except for that one chick that seemed weak, recovered, then passed. It is very odd, and pretty depressing
sad.png
CAHFS has never failed me before, hopefully they'll be able to tell me what's going on this time, too!
We're going to have to agree to disagree on some of this. I don't have too much faith in sources that sell products related to the miracle they're touting or are 'someone on Facebook'. I backed off feeding raw when most of the studies and the raw-enthusiast medical professional said it was a bad idea around my babies, and the nursing home said raw fed dogs could no longer be brought in for patient visits. As far as avoiding their saliva, I don't think it would be as easy as not letting them kiss faces. I am pretty sure I'd have to burn my whole house to the ground
lau.gif
I know a lot of people feed raw without seeing any consequences, and a lot more people feed just kibble without seeing any consequences. I do neither. There's more than one way to keep dogs healthy and happy. It's a good thing my favorite breed of dog is the Beagle. They'll eat anything. My older Beagle was fed Ol' Roy dog food in her former home. She was nearly bald when I got her. They said she had mange and hot spots... nope, just a bad corn allergy and was living on a 'food' that had corn as the first/primary ingredient.
barnie.gif

All I ask is that people put a little thought and consideration into how they keep their animals. As for your friends' dog- at least she found out about the lady beforehand! Can you imagine if her poor dog went from raw food at home to poor quality kibble in a strange place? Poor thing dodged a bullet there. It's always helpful when someone is nice enough to show you they're crazy and untrustworthy and spare you the trouble of finding out after the fact.
tongue.png

It normally takes a week or two after the squat to the first egg. It can all take longer now because of the low hours of light we have.

She should lay her first egg soon. Stop stressing and examining her so much.

The next thing to watch for is her practicing on the nest box.

Thank you so much, Ron!!! I'll back off and listen for the egg song and not worry her about it.
Happy rainy day!!

One of my buff orps(the laying one) is acting odd. She has taken to sleeping a good portion of the day. She is eating and drinking and when she is up acts fine. I've checked for lice and mites and found nothing. I dont know what to feel for on her body to tell if she is having egg problems. She is our lap chicken anyway and prefers to be held when we are out. I dont know if the changes in weather and light are affecting her differently. Im a little worried but if its not something I can do for her myself it will just have to run its course. She went to bed on the roost last night just fine.

Last edited:
One of my buff orps(the laying one) is acting odd. She has taken to sleeping a good portion of the day. She is eating and drinking and when she is up acts fine. I've checked for lice and mites and found nothing. I dont know what to feel for on her body to tell if she is having egg problems. She is our lap chicken anyway and prefers to be held when we are out. I dont know if the changes in weather and light are affecting her differently. Im a little worried but if its not something I can do for her myself it will just have to run its course. She went to bed on the roost last night just fine.

Without other symptoms there is not much to go on.

laying egg takes health, so if she is laying eggs she is likely fine.

One thing you can do is send a manure sample in to a vet or UCD to have a float test done on it.

Tried a different hardware store today. They had small rolls of hardware cloth and chicken wire. Got a super janky roll of 5'x10' chicken wire to build a brooder top out of. It was the last one that size and the cashier was so horrified by its condition, she gave me a 50% discount! Now I just have to pull out the wire cutters and get to work ...

Self taught. Started with a D50 on auto mode....now I'm using a D600 in manual 100% of the time. And my favorite lens is the cheap 50mm f/1.8 ....I have a 300-something dollar lens and I almost never put it on the camera except when photographing macro objects, because I just love my 50mm so much...Nothing better :love  Except maybe other, more expensive, primes.

You take lovely animal pictures. I would certainly hire you for pet portraits!

Tried a different hardware store today. They had small rolls of hardware cloth and chicken wire. Got a super janky roll of 5'x10' chicken wire to build a brooder top out of. It was the last one that size and the cashier was so horrified by its condition, she gave me a 50% discount! Now I just have to pull out the wire cutters and get to work ...

That sounds like a great find!

Back
Top Bottom