California - Northern

Quote: If they are Rock Island eggs, then most likely an "Austra White" type. That is what the ones I hatched from those eggs were

The chicks look right (yellow with black spots). I can tell you it is the DUMBEST chick I've ever seen. It has no instinct to stay with the flock (or with its mom). If I have to put the chickens up, all the others go into the secure run if I toss a little scratch in. Not Peep. Peep just stands in the yard looking confused. When all the others go to roost at night, Peep stands out in the run for like an hour having a melt down (this was true when mom was still in the nest box, too).

The chicks look right (yellow with black spots). I can tell you it is the DUMBEST chick I've ever seen. It has no instinct to stay with the flock (or with its mom). If I have to put the chickens up, all the others go into the secure run if I toss a little scratch in. Not Peep. Peep just stands in the yard looking confused. When all the others go to roost at night, Peep stands out in the run for like an hour having a melt down (this was true when mom was still in the nest box, too).
The chicks I hatched from trader joes fertile eggs are fine. They hatched from white eggs and are most likely from Hy-line white hens and a hy-line brown cockbird.

I get a kick out of seeing commercial offspring acting like regular chickens.

They quickly picked up drinking from the vertical water system
know when I have a treat and come running
figured out the new bucket feeder quickly
and etc.

They also lay eggs in the nest box. One nest box had 11 eggs in it yesterday--It is the plastic roll out nest box that premier sells. It is very popular with the hens.

Well maybe Peep is just *special* (Peep would appear to smarter than its two siblings who got crushed underfoot by the other chickens on day three). But Peep is noticeably dim and clueless compared to the chicks I got from the feed store (BR, RIR, assorted Wyandottes, EE).
Maybe just traumatized by seeing his siblings crushed.
cool.png

Sometimes this kind of behavior is due to being on the outs with the other chickens and simply afraid of them.

Anyone interested in a momma hen with 2 chicks? FREE to good home.
smile.png
I'm heavily downsizing and she needs to go, sadly. She (and one of her babies) is a d'Uccle/OEGB mix, and the other chick is a pure OEGB.

Anyone interested in a momma hen with 2 chicks? FREE to good home.
smile.png
I'm heavily downsizing and she needs to go, sadly. She (and one of her babies) is a d'Uccle/OEGB mix, and the other chick is a pure OEGB.

They are very sweet looking!

I hope you find a great home for them.

Well I just moved from Tulare, which is part of the Central Valley (considered Southern CA) and moved 30 miles West to Lemoore and now according to AAA I'm in Northern CA. So I guess the line could be drawn between Tulare & Kings County.

:)
Bridgette

Well I just moved from Tulare, which is part of the Central Valley (considered Southern CA) and moved 30 miles West to Lemoore and now according to AAA I'm in Northern CA. So I guess the line could be drawn between Tulare & Kings County.

:)
Bridgette
welcome-byc.gif

Post pictures of you chickens when you can!

I have a concern, I have been letting my hens out for the better part of the day.... the last few days we had bad weather so I didn't let them out... today we were out with them and I checked their food abdominal water.... to my surprise, the one Feeder was empty, I guess they had to eat their food because they couldn't get out.... So now what? Are they getting enough nutrients eating outside? Should I keep them in more?

Also, laying pellets only have 16% protein, I'm going to get laying pellets when we go to town.... I was just thinking that higher protein would be better...

Back
Top Bottom