California - Northern

Hey there everybody! My boss is looking for some Traditional Seramas in the El Dorado county area. Anybody here know of a good breeder or have some available? Looking for flat feathered females and frizzled males. The only birds we have left are one beautiful but oversized male and six of his kids - someone climbed the fence and stole the mother hen a while back. Shame too, the pair didn't produce too good of females (way too long of backs) but from what I can tell we've got a couple of good males and one in particular with amazing type.

We had a predator attack yesterday night. First one in a very long time. One of my hens was dead, no body, just feathers, and I found one with her neck completely skinned. There is a flap of skin and feathers hanging off her chin area. I suspect she either has a punctured lung, or fluid/blood is draining into her lungs because of her very labored breathing and coughing.

I have her in a warm place in my living room, and I have applied Vetericyn to her whole neck. I plan on putting a natural poltice on her neck, and then wrapping it to try and have the flap of skin heal back on her neck.

Does that sound alright?
How is the patient today?

Quote: Yesterday morning into afternoon she was doing really bad. She was desperately struggling to breathe, and I started to consider putting her down. But around 2:30 she was able to breathe normally, and slept soundly.
This morning she's doing really well. She's alert (when she's not sleeping), and only coughs occasionally.
clap.gif
I've been giving her water from a dropper because she seems to dislike bending her neck down, and I'm going to give her some scrambled eggs soon.

Yesterday morning into afternoon she was doing really bad. She was desperately struggling to breathe, and I started to consider putting her down. But around 2:30 she was able to breathe normally, and slept soundly.
This morning she's doing really well. She's alert (when she's not sleeping), and only coughs occasionally.
clap.gif
I've been giving her water from a dropper because she seems to dislike bending her neck down, and I'm going to give her some scrambled eggs soon.
That is good news!

The first several days are critical for injuries.

Just stopping by to say hey. Back from vacation in NOLA and recovered from the horrific cold I brought back with me. *phew* The new expanded chicken run was exactly what my friends needed to be able to easily deal with my flock without having to interact with the birds and risk getting flogged by my roo (who's a complete gentleman with me, so long as I'm not wearing trousers, LOL!). Everything went smoothly in my absence which was a huge relief.

Unfortunately she's not too excited about eating anything. She'll drink a whole bucket of water if I let her, but she won't eat anything.
hmm.png

My cure-all supplement for injured or ill hens is to give ONE DROP of Poly-vi-sol no-iron children's liquid vitamin especially if the appetite is low for the hen so she gets some nutrients (2 to 3x a week). Can't imagine how sore the poor little thing is feeling in her throat!

Back
Top Bottom