California - Northern

OR4-hmom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Grants Pass, OR
Anyone house bantam and standard together? I'm getting bantams in the spring and I'm afraid they will get sat on. Also I'm getting nankin and Jap bantams would they be able to live outside in winter?
I ordered 35 LF and 4 OEGB, then picked up 3 more bantams before leaving the feed store. They were brooded together and all moved into the coop together and for the most part things went fine. We took a couple of bantams to fair and when they came back they were picked on heavily! I ended up separating them.

Each year it seems I get a phone call from someone who put the juveniles in with the laying flock and the juveniles were killed. It has happened with both standard and bantams. The new birds don't know the good hiding places and are out numbered.

I tell the kids to watch the cold with Silkies, frizzles and Seramas.

Please understand that everything sneeks up on Polish. They may be taller than bantams but when they are feeding those tasty crest feathers are right at eye level.

My take on egg shape determining gender, if it worked then hatcheries would be using it.
I know someone who swears it "Usually" works.

joydix

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2015
West Sonoma County
Where are you located? There is a place near me in Sebastopol (Sonoma county) that has really really nice cream leg bars. VERY good quality birds. you can google Alchemist farms and garden in sebastopol.

Now MY question is anyone know where you can get bantam barred rock hatching eggs????

nikki1496

Songster
6 Years
Nov 23, 2013
northern california
I ordered 35 LF and 4 OEGB, then picked up 3 more bantams before leaving the feed store. They were brooded together and all moved into the coop together and for the most part things went fine. We took a couple of bantams to fair and when they came back they were picked on heavily! I ended up separating them.

Each year it seems I get a phone call from someone who put the juveniles in with the laying flock and the juveniles were killed. It has happened with both standard and bantams. The new birds don't know the good hiding places and are out numbered.

I tell the kids to watch the cold with Silkies, frizzles and Seramas.

Please understand that everything sneeks up on Polish. They may be taller than bantams but when they are feeding those tasty crest feathers are right at eye level.

My take on egg shape determining gender, if it worked then hatcheries would be using it.
I know someone who swears it "Usually" works.

Some of the bantams will hopefully be going in breeding pens by summer so they will be on their own

chiqita

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
San Jose, Ca
hey! Happy New Years alll!

I am stopping buy with a request for my vet friend Rof. he is having to relocate his chickens and is looking for somewhere he can rent a spot for them in the bay area. hes in San Jose, but hes keeping them in gilroy ATM so hes used to some travel.

If anyone might be interested, or know where he can look, let me know.

Hows everyone? how is the New years hatch going? Im going to check out the show thread and see if we are planning a meet up!

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but is anyone planning on going to the Modesto show at the end of this month?
smile.png

Top Bottom