California - Northern

We moved here from up near Cameron Park/EDH a few years ago to care for my elderly father-in-law. My husband was born and raised here after his parents immigrated from Southern Italy. I’m originally from Maryland. I’m missing the rural scene up there but, I have to admit the weather here is pretty nice.🙂
The weather is much better than here in Woodland!

I am a fourth generation Californian on my Mom's side. I could do with less heat in the summer though.

The weather is much better than here in Woodland!

I am a fourth generation Californian on my Mom's side. I could do with less heat in the summer though.
That heat up there can really get to be a bit much.🥵 It’s still so much nicer than the humid heat of MD. The first time I traveled back there during the summer I felt like a wet blanket hit me as I got off the plane!😆 I don’t know how ever lived there. Orlando in August might take the cake though!

Hi everybody!👋 I’ve been reading different threads for the past couple months but, this is my first post. I hope I’m posting the right way.🤞I’ve gotten in over my head with straight run chicks.😬 Eight out of ten we have purchased this spring have turned out to be cockerels. These chicks are super friendly having been raised in our home and handled by myself, husband, and teenaged kids numerous times a day. They are 6-12 weeks old at this point and two have begun to crow. We live in the city and unfortunately aren’t supposed to keep roosters. We purchased 3 from Concord feed, 2 from a pop-up chick day at An-Jans, and two from a breeder in Oakdale. We are really sad to have to find them homes because they are such loving lap chickens. 😥We need to find homes for a buff laced Polish, a Self Blue D’Uccle and Blue Cochin Bantam carrying the frizzle gene (these two are bonded and staying in the same brooder crate), a Porcelain D’Uccle, and blue Silkie. We also have a gorgeous Mille Fleur and White bearded Silkie currently in with a special needs Self blue D’Uccle and Blue Frizzle Cochin pullet. The white Silkie and Mille haven’t started to crow. These guys are getting along beautifully so, are not so much of a priority to place in a new home as much as the others yet. We also have a White Crested Black Polish Roo that we purchased as a “Pullet” last summer. He definitely wasn’t actually a pullet despite his supposedly being sold as a 10 week old “pullet”. We love him and have tried various rooster collars and even a tiny vibrating dog bark collar in an attempt to be able to keep him but, aren’t having much success keeping him from crowing. He has had to stay mostly in our garage with several walks on a leash in our garden per day. He is such a sweetheart and deserves a wonderful rural home where he can have more freedom to strut his stuff. We gave him a little trim off his crest so he can see a little better as you can tell in the photos. All these guys have been fed organic chick grower and fresh greens from our backyard garden daily. The Self Blue D’Uccle, Blue Cochin, White Crested Polish, and White Silkie have been vaccinated for Marek‘s Disease. The Mille Fleur D’Uccle, Porcelain D’Uccle, Buff Polish, and Blue Silkie have not been vaccinated. If you or anyone you know are interested in any of these cuties please let me know. 🙂
Just trying to figure out how to repost my original post. Hopefully, I did this right. Now to figure out how to repost the pictures. 🤔

Attachments

• 8EE57EB1-F34F-4254-84CC-B8A77C7CD072.jpeg
    8EE57EB1-F34F-4254-84CC-B8A77C7CD072.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 511153B5-0923-4E53-A6A8-C930B2D3DB6F.jpeg
    511153B5-0923-4E53-A6A8-C930B2D3DB6F.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 56569E2C-5FA8-4FC4-B20F-14C335A9B4A1.jpeg
    56569E2C-5FA8-4FC4-B20F-14C335A9B4A1.jpeg
    468.8 KB · Views: 1
  • E8FA6545-9074-4236-8505-C52F0642D16A.jpeg
    E8FA6545-9074-4236-8505-C52F0642D16A.jpeg
    509.1 KB · Views: 1
  • F75F4D02-47BB-406A-8516-A6235DC2CC51.jpeg
    F75F4D02-47BB-406A-8516-A6235DC2CC51.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 2
  • C6AC0AFE-BC33-420B-AED2-640CAB3CFFEA.png
    C6AC0AFE-BC33-420B-AED2-640CAB3CFFEA.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 0D9DA8FA-7AFD-464D-AE36-B6CB51A7A89E.jpeg
    0D9DA8FA-7AFD-464D-AE36-B6CB51A7A89E.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 1
  • 4F8F0D87-39E8-4293-8C33-315A060068E9.png
    4F8F0D87-39E8-4293-8C33-315A060068E9.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • C4FB3B90-029D-4F33-9868-6895F173A19A.jpeg
    C4FB3B90-029D-4F33-9868-6895F173A19A.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 6A02B690-D000-44DA-B7AA-524716B9B7A1.jpeg
    6A02B690-D000-44DA-B7AA-524716B9B7A1.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 3
Would anyone like a gorgeous 4 year old SFH roo that is overprotective of his hens? Just checking... He didn’t calm down after this spring like all the previous years and he is getting on my nerves with his attacks. Most of my hens are over 5 years old now and need some babying and the roo attacks when I make them squawk (by picking them up, say). He is also overmating a few of my hens and goes after them when they run away... He is not a terrible roo, he tidbits, is very vigilant, does his utmost to protect them from danger - unfortunately he thinks that includes me... I have a feeling he would be ok with a younger more robust flock and more space. Can’t guarantee it though... But if you’re up for trying to tame a roo, he might be a good candidate. I have him at the point where he’ll leave the coop when I’m in there and point at him and firmly say: OUT. I am just tired of the challenge... I have too many challenges already. Plus, if we ever have someone else taking care of the flock, he would be a real problem. And our renter just moved back and she has a small grandchild... BUT, for a big free range all day flock out in West County or so he could still be the right guy I think.

Would anyone like a gorgeous 4 year old SFH roo that is overprotective of his hens? Just checking... He didn’t calm down after this spring like all the previous years and he is getting on my nerves with his attacks. Most of my hens are over 5 years old now and need some babying and the roo attacks when I make them squawk (by picking them up, say). He is also overmating a few of my hens and goes after them when they run away... He is not a terrible roo, he tidbits, is very vigilant, does his utmost to protect them from danger - unfortunately he thinks that includes me... I have a feeling he would be ok with a younger more robust flock and more space. Can’t guarantee it though... But if you’re up for trying to tame a roo, he might be a good candidate. I have him at the point where he’ll leave the coop when I’m in there and point at him and firmly say: OUT. I am just tired of the challenge... I have too many challenges already. Plus, if we ever have someone else taking care of the flock, he would be a real problem. And our renter just moved back and she has a small grandchild... BUT, for a big free range all day flock out in West County or so he could still be the right guy I think.
No point in taming a roo, they are just doing what comes natural.

No point in taming a roo, they are just doing what comes natural.
I’m sure there’s a range... Yeah, of course the protectiveness is natural. What I was trying to say was that he might work out ok with someone who is willing to put in some work (this guy has definitely shown me that he can learn, as shown by the fact that he will leave the coop on command) and who has a more suitable flock and management than me. I see plenty of people with large flocks that are out all day until they put themselves to bed at night. Owners that keep their hens only for a couple of years and then process them and start over. I think he could be great in a set up like that. My chickens are half pets, some aging and with some chronic health issues and they are not out all day every day. Anyway just trying to give a gorgeous roo another chance...

I’m sure there’s a range... Yeah, of course the protectiveness is natural. What I was trying to say was that he might work out ok with someone who is willing to put in some work (this guy has definitely shown me that he can learn, as shown by the fact that he will leave the coop on command) and who has a more suitable flock and management than me. I see plenty of people with large flocks that are out all day until they put themselves to bed at night. Owners that keep their hens only for a couple of years and then process them and start over. I think he could be great in a set up like that. My chickens are half pets, some aging and with some chronic health issues and they are not out all day every day. Anyway just trying to give a gorgeous roo another chance...
Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom