California - Northern

I have ducks so they just float around in their pools, and I most them with the hose. I am not sure how well I am doing in this heat. I am an electrician, so I find myself working out in the heat most days.
Sounds like the ducks have the right idea! Terrible you have to work outside in this weather.. I’m sure you hear it all the time, but stay hydrated!

Wow! You are down to 4. I thought you had quite a few birds.

I am up to about 75 chickens, 8 Bobwhite Quail, 18 Valley Quail, 20 Chuckar, 11 Ring Neck Pheasants, 11 Golden Pheasants, and 4 Snowflake Bobwhite Quail. I also have more Chukar and Bobwhite eggs in the incubator.

I moved out into the country last August and am loving it.

I also have a huge garden.

Kern
Sounds like a dream!!!:love

Sounds like the ducks have the right idea! Terrible you have to work outside in this weather.. I’m sure you hear it all the time, but stay hydrated!
Yeah ducks definitely have the right idea. Been tempted to jump in there with them 😆. Then I remember they poop in that water.

I usually love working outdoors, but these 100 degrees plus days are no fun.

Wow! You are down to 4. I thought you had quite a few birds.

I am up to about 75 chickens, 8 Bobwhite Quail, 18 Valley Quail, 20 Chuckar, 11 Ring Neck Pheasants, 11 Golden Pheasants, and 4 Snowflake Bobwhite Quail. I also have more Chukar and Bobwhite eggs in the incubator.

I moved out into the country last August and am loving it.

I also have a huge garden.

Kern
I had to go back to 6 hens several years ago. Neighbors complained lol.

It is a lot less work!

Maybe one day I will move out to the country where I can have more and roosters too.

I have ducks so they just float around in their pools, and I most them with the hose. I am not sure how well I am doing in this heat. I am an electrician, so I find myself working out in the heat most days.
I read an article today that said it is important to be in 80F or lower temps at night so that the body can recover.

That is usually normal for woodland but not further up the Sacramento Valley in August without AC

I read an article today that said it is important to be in 80F or lower temps at night so that the body can recover.

That is usually normal for woodland but not further up the Sacramento Valley in August without AC
Yeah. The heat can definitely be a serious issue. Heat stroke becomes more common and sometimes people are unaware that it is occurring. It takes time to recover from. If you can't cool down it would certainly increase the risk. For those who don't know, wetting your head with cool water helps a lot. Helps cool down your brain.

Hello everybody! We are still trying to find a home for a few bantam cockerels that we ended up with in a group of straight run chicks purchased from Concord Feed in mid March. We posted awhile back about our situation and have been successful finding 3/8 homes between this site and Craigslist. We actually ended up with 8/10 of the straight run chicks being male. We’ve certainly learned our lesson and will resist getting the adorable little fuzzies in the future. We live within the SJ city limits and 5 crowing roosters definitely isn’t going to work. We are having a little bit of success with rooster collars but, finding homes for some of them will really help. This Bantam Blue Cochin has a bit louder and more frequent crow. It would be ideal to find him a home first. Pop Rock is a Blue Bantam Cochin carrying the frizzle gene who was purchased from Concord Feed in Dublin, CA on March 18th. His hatchmate, one of the only pullets we ended up with, is a frizzle and is actually displaying the trait. We were later told that not all chicks labeled as frizzle will display the trait. Some will only be carrying the gene. He has received the Marek’s vaccine and has been fed organic starter/grower, fresh garden veggies, and fruit. He really loves his crumbles mixed with warm water. Somehow, that’s his favorite treat. He makes really cute excited sounds while eating such a luxury. 😆If you live in Northern CA and would be willing to add Pop Rock to your flock please feel free to contact us. We would be willing to deliver him to you if needed.

Attachments

• FE8583C9-B9AD-4E14-99D9-9661D80CD3D7.jpeg
    FE8583C9-B9AD-4E14-99D9-9661D80CD3D7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 0823860A-F1C3-405D-8D76-BEAD71A7CF08.jpeg
    0823860A-F1C3-405D-8D76-BEAD71A7CF08.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • A0527E4C-3C3A-4E15-999A-80A41A028F47.jpeg
    A0527E4C-3C3A-4E15-999A-80A41A028F47.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 03D0AFC6-FF30-40FA-800F-84CAD41D832B.jpeg
    03D0AFC6-FF30-40FA-800F-84CAD41D832B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Hello everybody! We are still trying to find a home for a few bantam cockerels that we ended up with in a group of straight run chicks purchased from Concord Feed in mid March. We posted awhile back about our situation and have been successful finding 3/8 homes between this site and Craigslist. We actually ended up with 8/10 of the straight run chicks being male. We’ve certainly learned our lesson and will resist getting the adorable little fuzzies in the future. We live within the SJ city limits and 5 crowing roosters definitely isn’t going to work. We are having a little bit of success with rooster collars but, finding homes for some of them will really help. This Bantam Blue Cochin has a bit louder and more frequent crow. It would be ideal to find him a home first. Pop Rock is a Blue Bantam Cochin carrying the frizzle gene who was purchased from Concord Feed in Dublin, CA on March 18th. His hatchmate, one of the only pullets we ended up with, is a frizzle and is actually displaying the trait. We were later told that not all chicks labeled as frizzle will display the trait. Some will only be carrying the gene. He has received the Marek’s vaccine and has been fed organic starter/grower, fresh garden veggies, and fruit. He really loves his crumbles mixed with warm water. Somehow, that’s his favorite treat. He makes really cute excited sounds while eating such a luxury. 😆If you live in Northern CA and would be willing to add Pop Rock to your flock please feel free to contact us. We would be willing to deliver him to you if needed.
They are so very handsome! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom